Dwarf frogs..what do you think?

hazee

Medium Fish
Jun 29, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I have two dwarf frogs in a paludarium. It's a ten gallon about 1/3 to 1/2 full. I'm wondering how much swimming room dwarf frogs need to be happy. There are lots of places to hide but not much actual swimming room especially vertically. Think they're happy in the shorter water?

I have two other dwarf frogs in a 5.5gallon tank with some guppies and ottocinclus. I was thinking they might be happier in the paludarium with the other two frogs. Is 4 too many? I was thinking the paludarium is darker and has more hiding places for them so they might like it better... and no fish either... :)

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
They don't really swim all that much... usually sit on the bottom or float around. I don't think they'd mind a short water column. A 1/2 full 10g is probably about as high as my 2.5g, and the frog does fine in there. Four frogs shouldn't be too many in about 5 gallons of water, as long as they're getting enough food. It's not like they need individual territories :).

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
they'll probably appreciate having a place where they can just perch with there heads out of the water and not have to keep swimming up n down all the time for breath.

hazee

Medium Fish
Jun 29, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thnx guys. I appreciate the responses. Especially since one of the frogs in the regular tank up and died today for no apparent reason???? :confused: :( Poor little guy. Dunno what happened to him. We just found him floating this afternoon. Those two have been in that tank for quite awhile. Nothing has changed that i'm aware of.

Anyway, i felt it was even more important to move the one frog left to the other tank with the two frogs. I'm glad you guys think the half full 10g might even be preferred by these guys. :)

Thanx again.