Dwarf Frog, New Tank Question

Nov 28, 2012
My last post never seemed to post. I am not sure if new posts are moderated? Or because it had a link in it?? I will try without, and if it works, then post the link to the tank, to show you guys what I am talking about.

So I had bought over a year ago what was supposed to be an African Dwarf Frog, come to find out, it was a clawed frog. She got huge, which was fine, but upgraded my tank from a 4gal to 6gal. The moment she was put in there, with her same housemates and one new one. She ate up everyone. She killed the Mystery Snail, she ate the new Oto, killed the Betta, and was trying to go after the Kuhili Loach. So... I traded her back in to the pet store and they let me trade out for a new REAL dwarf. Had him only a day or so, and he passed.

So I am about to get another one, a replacement. My actual question is... My new tank is called the Fluval Edge. It is really cool, 6gal. But the pretty part of it, is that it is glass and you fill it all the way up so it looks solid full. There is a decent size opening where a frog could surface, but the entire top isn't accessible to air. There is also a tree in the back, that even when full holds a big air pocket. I would like to keep it full as it is supposed to be, because it's really pretty like that... but am afraid the dwarf frog may not be smart enough to find the surface area. My clawed did... but at first would shoot to the top and bump his head. But he continued swimming around until he found the opening, and then learned where to get air. So I wanted to know what people thought that have way more experience than I. I am posting a shot of the tank. You can see the black box on top, under that is all open and you fill the water a little over the opening to make the water totally fill the top -- but the frog could surface for air there. I just worry he may not figure out and drown by not finding it in time, or the big air pocket in the back right corner where the tree is.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Well, I haven't had the Edge aquarium but I've had a few dwarf frogs in a 2.5g. I'm not sure whether they are smart enough to find the hole. I would tend to think so, if nothing else because it's not like all water surfaces and puddles have fully clear tops. They will also not drown in a minute or two if they surface in the wrong spot and have to search for the right spot, but I'm not positive how long they can actually hold their breath.

I would say, decide which is more important to you - having the dwarf frog or having the tank filled all the way. If you want the frog more, get one. Watch him carefully when you first put him in, and if he cannot find the hole and seems to be in distress due to that, lower the water level. You can always try raising the water level again once he's gotten used to the tank. If you are watching him go to the hole, even if he has to search for it a little first, you are all set. If he turns out not to be the brightest frog, you can just have the water level lower (or maybe set him up in your 4g instead?). Or find him a new home if you really decide you want the water level all the way up.

Basically, I'd just keep an eye on him at first, make sure he can get to the hole at least a couple of times, and if not lower the water level until another plan is in place (ie, don't drown him if he is dumb).

Another thing to keep in mind, how big is the hole? A lot of dwarf frogs spend a good deal of time floating at the surface. Is it big enough for him to float comfortably?

Nov 28, 2012
Thank you CAPSLOCK. I got my ADF and did decide to lower the tank water just incase. I lowered it JUST below so there is maybe 4mm of space for air. Because the tank isn't the most level, I live in a converted garage and the floor isn't level. It is sitting on my entertainment center. So doing that, the right side has a bit more air than the left. Glad I decided to lower instead of risking him finding the surface opening. He isn't that bright, kept going to the left corner and not getting air. Tried over and over. Then on the right corner, my two mystery snails were clustered together at the corner, and he kept trying to get air and they were in the way. If he had just moved over an inch, he would have gotten it. He FINALLY figured it out though. I kept trying to post a link to the picture of the tank CAPSLOCK, but every time I did, it never posted. Do a google search for Fluval Edge, and you will see it. I got rid of my 4gal because the pump went out on it. It was one of those Biorbs. Pretty tank when set up, but horrible quality and cleaning was HORRID. May be a 4gal, but basically only about 2gal of swimming room because the entire center of it is all filter and bubbler.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Good thing you had the water level lowered. They really aren't the smartest buggers. I have to imagine they have the basic smarts to try new places for air, but maybe where they originate it isn't an issue....

I have seen pictures of the tank, haven't seen one set up but from the looks of it, the hole must be in the back where the brown sucker attaches to the top.