Dwarf Cichlids...

Oct 22, 2002
Has anyone had succsess keeping a dwarf community of several different types of dwarfs? Which dwarfs did you use or would reccomend useing in a commnity? Tell me about your dwarf tank setup. What non-cichlid tankmates do you keep with the dwarfs?

Thx,
    Curt

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
are german blue rams considered dwarf cichlids? if so...

i have a 29gallon. 3 pairs of blue rams. the tankmates are 3 american flagfish, 4 ottocats, 2 SAE, and a bunch of amano shrimps.

don't seem to be having any problems with them at all.

SegaDojo

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.intergate.ca
i currently keep two very peaceful apisto. borelli's in a 10g with 2 cherry barbs, 2 harlequins, an american flagfish, and an otto....

I haven't observed any aggressive behavior towards the other tankmates.. even prior and after breeding... only SLIGHT aggression but there haven't been any damaged fins or dead fish...

The tank is heavily planted... so perhaps that's whats keeping the aggression down.  Also, most apistos... if not all, like a planted tank...

SegaDojo

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.intergate.ca
no.. i haven't tried that.. but i've got a nice link to an article on shell dwellers.

http://www.cichlidae.com/articles/a065.html

Just last month I was looking for the lamprologus meleagris for my 6g... but i found a nice rock by this creek and decided to try again with the planted setup....

How big is your tank? personally, I don't see a problem in having several different species in a LARGER aquarium.... just provide lots of shells. I'd also provide some rock scapes to divide up the territories.... but this is just my view and I'm not quite the cichlid expert...

maybe you should post this topic in the cichlid area (if you haven't already).  

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
50+ sounds fine to me. You could probably keep a few different types in there. I would try some shell dwellers in there. I've seen some and I think they are really neat. They sound pretty easy to keep as well. You should check out that link from SegaDojo. Good luck. ;D

Oct 22, 2002
After looking at the Neolamprologus family I think I like Neo. Cylindricus, Neo. Leloupi and Neo Leleupi. Do you think a 50-75g would work for having a pair of each species? Do you guys/gals have any objections to this plan if so PLEASE PLEASE speek up. If you have any helpful hints and pointer I'm all ears ;D. I hope to put some high swimming fish in with them; any reccomedations? I look for fish out of the ordinary. Sould I try planting it? I want to have some plants in there like Ricca or other moss like stuff and a few real hardy plants.

Thx,
    Curt

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
MAKE UP YOUR MIND ALREADY! I have never kept these species but I would say you should go with the biggest tank possible and not try to over stock it to easily. I don't know the species like I said and I don't know exactly how they would react to plants. If you do try some don't do many and don't do expensive ones until your sure they can handle them. ;D

SegaDojo

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.intergate.ca
I've read that the shelldwellers tend to dig in the substrate... Since its a part of their nature, I would suggest a sand substrate, or perhaps even finely crushed coral.  

If you want to keep plants, you may occasionally find some of it floating up to the surface due to the digging.  But one thing you can do is attach java moss or java fern to the rockscapes...