Duckweed

Nov 8, 2012
I just bought some duckweed and placed it in my bettas bowl and my fiddler crabs tank. Neither of which have filters. Do you think this was a safe and good idea? I know duckweed is a freshwater plant and I did put it in my crabs murky tank. Neither of the pets would try eating it, would they? I know that they're both carnivores. I read up about it before I bought the duckweed but now I forgot a lot of the information, and I'm just hoping I didn't make a mistake. Thanks!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Not sure if it will do well with the crab if it is brackish water... just "murky" should be fine. If you see it turning brown, into sludge, or otherwise dying you should remove it. Otherwise, it should be fine... the main thing with duckweed is that it likes to reproduce... a lot... and can be difficult to remove fully if you don't want it anymore. Other than that, it is actually good for the water quality and is more natural for the fish I'm sure. The betta may nibble at it, or he may not. Either way, it won't hurt him. Personally I like duckweed, unless you've got lots of other plants that the duckweed is blocking the light from.

May 15, 2012
Not sure if it will do well with the crab if it is brackish water... just "murky" should be fine. If you see it turning brown, into sludge, or otherwise dying you should remove it. Otherwise, it should be fine... the main thing with duckweed is that it likes to reproduce... a lot... and can be difficult to remove fully if you don't want it anymore. Other than that, it is actually good for the water quality and is more natural for the fish I'm sure. The betta may nibble at it, or he may not. Either way, it won't hurt him. Personally I like duckweed, unless you've got lots of other plants that the duckweed is blocking the light from.
yeah.. it's good for the water quality but don't use it too much.