Dropsy

Aug 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
I found one of my male guppies with dropsy so I removed him from he tank, but now I think one of my females have it. I am going to remove her. Can anyone tell me what causes it and what type of medication I can put into my tank to make sure none of my other fish get it.:(

Papillon

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2003
Montclair, NJ
Visit site
Dropsy is caused by.....Breeding activity or parasites have broken the skin and bacteria are starting to infect the areas... Check water quality. If it is normal add salt to the water to make a 0.3% concentration.

Dropsy unfortunately is terminal an unfortunately there is no solution at present.

Marie

Yes I check water and it is all good, I have been puting some salt in. I lost my male and another female to a different disease. I have now lost two other females to a really bad fugus I think it is. I also have one more female that looks like she has it too. It is a white filmmy substance on the tail close to her back fin and a little on her back fin. I am sure she is going to die, it seems to be getting worse, I have been putting a medicatin in which is suppose to help get ride of most parasites and diseases. I had three different diseases hit my tank at the same time, I just hope my last 6 guppies didn't catch any of them.

Papillon

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2003
Montclair, NJ
Visit site
I know what you mean, I have too... Mine two goldfish died of flipover, and the other, of fin rot, tail rot, septicemia, ich and dropsy! My last one, thank God looks really good, and didn't get the dropsy. I am waiting for my tank to cycle then I can put him back in his home... This is the last time I am cycling a tank with fish!

Marie.

I have no clue what my fish have but what ever it is it is litterly eating right through them. It starts out looking like ick or a fungus and it ends up eating right through them. It isn't just fin rot, even though it is eating through their fins but it is also eating through their skin. I just found out how bad it is by looking at my fav. female (none of the others have lived this long, she is a fighter) and it is eating right through her back fin and skin. The Disease has dissolved one of my males front fin, and his back fin looks like it is unraveling. I have another female who has this too. I still have four guppies left 2 males and 2 females, I checked them out and they don't seem to be sick and got them to another tank fast, hopefully they don't have what ever it is too.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Lots of that going around. Jungle Anti-Fungus just might work on it. My 2 sick goldfish have been sick for weeks now, and one of them has lost most his tailfin and has white fuzz (fungus) on the back of his body.

A had to almost double the dose in the ice cream bucket they are in now (with airstone) of anti-fungus and salt. Now, the fungus is detaching and floating loose in the water.

Now, if they don't get a secondary bacterial infection, they might stand a chance.

I hope both our fish survive.

Can anyone else help me with what other kind of disease this could be. It starts out looing like ick, then turns into a blister, then a sore which gets bigger, then it starts to eat right through them and it keeps going until it hits something vital and causes the fish to die

It has been up and running for two months, yes I let it cycle completely. I had a couple other guppies in there for awhile then brought some more in and they had been there for about three weeks before they started to get sick. The temp. is always the same, the water quality is all good besides my water is a little hard.