Driftwood Planting

Oct 22, 2002
MD
I need some advice. I want to get some driftwood and attach java fern or java moss to it. Husband says buy it, it is to much trouble to do ourselves, I disagree. I thought that I read somewhere that all you have to do is tie it down with fishing line until it attaches it self and then take the line off. I am way off???

Thanks in advance!
Angie:confused:

wethead

Large Fish
Jun 7, 2003
Phila. Burbs
Visit site
Karen Randel who writes a plant column for Aquarium Fish Mag. has writen that she simply puts in a few staples on the roots to attach plants. The staples soon rust over & can't be seen. ( even going towards feeding the plants in a minor way ) They do need iron don't they ?...Rich

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
I agree with luv and catfishmike as to use black thread. When i bought my java fern it had black thread in its root system already so it must have been planted on something before hand. As for staples being a source of fertalization im not too sure of that. But im pretty sure it wouldnt do any harm. And as tabby uses a rubberband to do so i think would be unpleasent to see it for a month while it roots itself down, but that method would also work just fine. So 1fish2fish it isnt a trouble to go through to root down plants on driftwood but i bet it would be hard to find someone selling driftwood with plants already planted on it.

- depthC