Dog Ramps

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
My mind has been a lot on dogs lately because our old dog died and I am looking for a buddy for our younger dog. Anyway I wanted to share an idea with those of you who have big dogs that may eventually have a problem getting into your vehicle. Harbor Freight (for one) sells a light weight folding aluminum ramp made for loading lawn tractors, MC, etc. When they are on sale they cost about $50. You take them apart and have two sections that look like ladders. We cut a piece of 1/4 plywood and fasted it on and covered it with carpeting for traction. It is completely sturdy with no sway so the dogs are secure walking on it - and if you want you can make another one with the other half and probably sell it for more than you paid for the whole thing! It is light weight and easy to lift and stow.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I kind of figured you would be the first one to respond EX! When you get as old as we are, we can't consider lifting a 70 - 100# dog into a truck and everything I built always came out too heavy to easily stow. The commercial ones are rather spendy. I was surprised how well it worked to get him in and out of our 5th wheel trailer. Even at his age he learned quickly to wait until it was in place.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
lol y would u expect me to be the first to respond? lol. and i do think it's a good idea. my last dog kody was 10 years old and he was still able to easily jump into the bed of my truck. and emma the dog i got now is only 3 years old and obviusly has no problems. but buck the the dog before kody my dad had to pick up as he got older. only time i have to pick up emma is when it's time to leave the lake or river and she don't want to go lol.

As fo this ramp u built it's a slick idea to take lawn mower ramps or atv ramps and convert them to a dog ramp. i know dogs sometimes have a hard time getting into a vehichle and that helps them and if they need help people like my mom who has bad knees, hip, and back are not able to help the dog. and she is not able to move our ramps. our ramps are made out of treated 2X6 with 1x1 screwed on in a ladder style and painted with hose paint with sand mixed in it. they are rather heavy and with the length kinda awkward to move.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Your Mom sounds like me - the dr. calls me a bionic woman - I think I only have one more joint they can replace Lol. Looks like they are a little more expensive now days and no longer hinged, but with a coupon you can get 25% off:
Bi-Folding Aluminum Ramp - 1000 Lb. Capacity
I am sure you could sell the other half for what you paid for the whole thing. We kept both halfs and my son used them to load his plane on to a trailer.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Oh my, that is a shame. How old is your Mom? Hips are a piece of cake. Knees take a bit more time, but the pain is gone and the pain from the surgery is different and you can cope with it easier. A lot depends on how up to date your surgeon is, but the stay in the hospital for hips is the surgery day plus two here and probably one day more for knees. (Different areas of the country approach surgeries different I have found.) I would be very happy to e-mail your Mom or talk to her if she would like. Usually the biggest complaint people have is "I wish I had done it sooner." PM me if you want more personal info.