Does anybody keep and breed L260 plecos?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
They are amazing fish, and as i found out they can take a more alkaline and moderately hard water parameter than most hypans and fancy plecos. So they'd be perfect for my tank! I thought it was about time to start keeping something a bit rarer and more expensive than bristlenoses :p

I found a decent deal on aquabid for $45 each. i just hope i get the winning bid. They're young juvies from a breeder, which is good because I wouldn't want to buy wild caught fish and have them not eat or have trouble adapting to my parameters. or just the general stress of being wild caught.

Thanks for the source! I'll check that out.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I got 6 of them. they are 2" juveniles that i got for $45 each. expensive, and most expensive fish purchase ever for me, but still well below the $60+ online price that we normally see them for, and surely below the $80.00+ price tag at LFS. LFS rarely have these so they were hard for me to find. i had to look online.

They are currently hiding under all the driftwood in the tank. Here is an acclimation pic. They have regained much of their colors since they have been in the tank.
DSCN4635.jpg

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
They are supposed to get to 3.5" maximum, and i'm doubting that every one of these guys will get that big. I am keeping them in a 40 gallon community tank, so i wouldn't want it to get overstocked. My tank is good for now.
They grow slower than my BN plecos (I have two albino BNs in the same tank) and i'm guessing the L260 should reach breeding age within a year for sure. probably when they get nearer to 3" long.

Those washed out stress colors aren't a good representation how stunning these plecs are. they are now a dark black with white lines.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
no idea on who's male or female yet. the seller couldn't pick because these are too young and too small still. once they get to 3" or more within a year, I'll find out which is which, but for now it's not possible to tell.

If they do breed, sure I'll save one nice one for you too :)

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Update pics! These guys grow much slower than my albino BN juvies. my BNs are about 2"+ a piece and these L260 are still around 1.5" each. i hope they are eating and growing! pics taken at night so that i could catch them out and about on the DW. the fishe's color can appear washed out at night as we all know. RSCN4652.jpg RSCN4653.jpg

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
so judging by the growth rate of these plecos and what i have read online, these will not get to breeding age until 2.5 years have passed...i figure i still have 1.5+ years to go :(

currently none are over 1.75"

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
how does anyone keep up with the pleco species? i've talked to people at my lfs and they just spout off numbers and other people know exacly what they are talking about. I just can't keep up.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
haha i know right? there are a few very common numbers that most pleco keepers have memorized that are easily identifiable. but there are so many in general that yes, you would need to do a google search to see what they look like.

The L046 and L333 are some of the more common plecos. they are also expensive and desirable.