Do I need a bubbler?

bsain

New Fish
Jan 6, 2004
Minneapolis
Visit site
I have just bought a kit 20 gallon tank. I did not get a bubbler with it. I got a filter and a heater. Do I need a bubbler to get oxygen into the water for my fish?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Your filter should move the surface of the water enough to promote healthy oxygen exchange. Down the road after you have it set up, cycled etc and your fish start gasping at the surface you can add a bubble wand or air stone (or any number of bubbly type decorations connected to an air pump) for them. Some people just like how they look :)

So short answer, no, don't worry about it.

Nov 5, 2002
Auburn, CA
On the other side of the question . . .

My daughter gtot a Christmas present last year. A min-bow 7 gal kit. while the little filter (PetSmart brand) worked really well and was quiet, the water poured in so smoothly that the surface appeared stagnant.

The fish did not do well and some died. We eventually bought a smal air pump and and airstone and this has not only improve the health of the fish but it has improved the efficiency of the heater and the filter by creating a slow current in the tank.

After saying all that . . . generally they are not "required" but in my opinion they are good to have in a tank.

That's just me.

*celebrate

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Some fish really seem to enjoy playing in the bubbles. It's not a good idea if you plan to have a tank with live plants, but it's easily removable anyway. I kind of like the way the bubble wands look, with a wall of bubbles going up the back of the tank. I would say it's not necessary, but some people like to have them.