do gsp's change in aperance?

420Loach

Superstar Fish
May 26, 2003
Makaha, Hawaii
Visit site
a healthy, happy gs puffer will stay bright green with black spots and a bright white belly. i think theyre are yellow rings around the black dots...but he doesnt hold still long enough for me see when im fazin on him:D

Mar 24, 2006
Color Changing GSP

Can someone tell me what is wrong with my GSP? Throughout the day, everyday his belly will be black for about an hour or so, then white for a few hours then black again, and then back to white. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Mar 24, 2006
i just got him last weekend, its a 10g tank that i had set up for just for him for about a month before i got him and everything with the water is just fine as i tested it before i added him to the tank. I am currently feeding him frozen bloodworms and one day i feed him a gut loaded ghost shrimp that he ate up right away.

But when you say your water is fine, do you know what the actual values are or is that what your locsl fish store is telling you? do you have a test kit that you can test the water with yourself? How did you cycle your tank? Have you done any water changes yet, if not try that and see if it helps. What kind , if any, of salt are you using in your tank?

I'm sorry for all the questions but these are things that we need to know in order to help point you in the right direction. Welcome to MFT. :)

nfsnyder8475 said:
I had petco test the water before i put the gsp in and they said eveything is fine, i had a 50% water change every week. I am using aquarium salt from doc wellfish's.
Thats not the right kind of salt for Brackish water, you need like Instant Ocean or some sort of marine salt mix ... have you read my Guide to Brackish Tanks in this section? if not read it. it will help you. but as for the color changing its fairly normal, as long as he's not staying dark all of the time, my GSP changes back and forth as well but mine is a lot older, almost 2 years old now. keep us posted. read the Guide, and have patience it takes them time to adjust.