Do freshwater crabs exist?

Sep 16, 2008
Somewhere
I have read many forums, articles, and books that talk about saltwater and brackish crabs, but are there freshwater ones? If so, what are the cheapest and most available ones? Thanks!*SUPERSMIL

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
my LFS sells what they call mini crabs. they are freshwater. I used to have them but they kept getting out of the tank. scare the crap outta mom once. she went to the bathroom and there is this crab on the floor. she tholught it was a giant spider. and another thing thats fun is in public walk up to random people and quietly but seriously tell them "I've got crabs" and then walk away. ur not lieing to them cause u do lol. just one of those few fun lil things with crabs.

jingles

Medium Fish
Jan 28, 2009
Auburn, AL
All mini-crabs can live in freshwater (or brackish) for sometime. Some can't take it though for long though (freshwater that is). Brackish is a broad term though and these crabs really don't need a lot of salt(teaspoon per gallon). Think of them as live bearers. Oh and they all need to get air every now and then, but back to your question.

Fiddlers are brackish, Red clawed are freshwater and brackish, Patriot crabs(soap dish)-freshwater, and watermelon crab- brackish. Thats all I could find out on the web. There seems to be a lot more freshwater/brackish crabs out there just the info is hard to find.

The most available ones are going to be fiddlers but if your lucky you can find a soap dish or red clawed(thai). I think the soap dish ones would be cheaper because there not as striking and they're not really compatible with other things. I never seen watermelon cabs but I've heard they expensive. The crabs I've seen all seem to be in the same price range though. hope this helps

Sep 16, 2008
Somewhere
Well, I have decided that crabs wont be good for my tank. a land area would be hard to provide, not to mention tankmates. In fact, after some reconsideration, I would have to take out my plants, rasboras(3 harlequins, 1 Rasbora kubotai-I think) , and my coolie loach. So, I will consider a gourami or something.

nikcasper

Medium Fish
Aug 14, 2009
are there any freshwater hermit crabs? i've searched on the web and found nothin so im just assuming they don't exist but if anyone knows otherwise i would like to know.