Do Fighters eat ramshorn snails?

Apr 13, 2011
Hey guys, was just wondering if my fighting fish will eat the eggs of the ramshorn snails? Because today the snails spawned there first batch of eggs at like 11 this morning but now it is currently 7pm and there are 4 batches of eggs please help

Oct 15, 2010
They might -- but I highly doubt it. And I can't see it being the best for him to eat...I would just remove them if I were you. Ramshorns are considered minor pests- they breed fast enough that you could have a population explosion in a matter of days. They tend to be hard to get rid of (like all snails) once they get to that point.

And before I forget- welcome to MFT! I see that you joined recently. :)

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
I had a Pond Snail outbreak in one of my 10 gallons and I never even had a pond snail!! I took all my fish out and cranked up the heat (quiet quickly too) all the way to 104 degrees. I'm keeping it like that for 5 hours and hopefully they will all die. I'll wait for my tank to bounce back from all the Ammonia, then it will be safe. I just have a ton of babies and the last thing i brought into my tank was well over 2 months ago. I just noticed them now and they are extremely tiny. I have no clue as to where they came from. Ugh!! I HATE snails!! Never. Again.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Nothing that I know of will eat the eggs of the rams horn snails. The eggs will have a very tough coating. Likely for each egg patch you see there are many others.

I prefer snails in a tank. I like the red rams horn and maylasian trumpet type. The population numbers can be somewhat kept in check by not overfeeding. I also keep a small plier like fishing tool to crush the snails. I then feed them to the fish. Bettas like them and I never had a problem because of feeding them to any of my fish. I have been doing this for a long time. It is, after all, fresh live food from a known source.

Apr 13, 2011
They might -- but I highly doubt it. And I can't see it being the best for him to eat...I would just remove them if I were you. Ramshorns are considered minor pests- they breed fast enough that you could have a population explosion in a matter of days. They tend to be hard to get rid of (like all snails) once they get to that point.

And before I forget- welcome to MFT! I see that you joined recently. :)
thanks for the welcome you are the first person to say it, so thankyou!! and im thinking of getting rid of the eggs cause it may be exciting that they had eggs and it will be my first experience in breeding but maybe if i get rid of the eggs its for the best for my fish tank :)

Apr 13, 2011
Hello; Nothing that I know of will eat the eggs of the rams horn snails. The eggs will have a very tough coating. Likely for each egg patch you see there are many others.

I prefer snails in a tank. I like the red rams horn and maylasian trumpet type. The population numbers can be somewhat kept in check by not overfeeding. I also keep a small plier like fishing tool to crush the snails. I then feed them to the fish. Bettas like them and I never had a problem because of feeding them to any of my fish. I have been doing this for a long time. It is, after all, fresh live food from a known source.
thats a very good idea actually, letting only one egg patch breed so that i can feed it to my beta fish, but the snails that i have that layed the eggs are in the same tank as my beta will it rapidly increase ammonia levels?

Apr 13, 2011
I had a Pond Snail outbreak in one of my 10 gallons and I never even had a pond snail!! I took all my fish out and cranked up the heat (quiet quickly too) all the way to 104 degrees. I'm keeping it like that for 5 hours and hopefully they will all die. I'll wait for my tank to bounce back from all the Ammonia, then it will be safe. I just have a ton of babies and the last thing i brought into my tank was well over 2 months ago. I just noticed them now and they are extremely tiny. I have no clue as to where they came from. Ugh!! I HATE snails!! Never. Again.
That sounds frustrating, because they got introduced from a different fish or the eggs might of magically appeared in your tank. How strange is that!

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Snails are living things and to the best of my understanding do produce metabolic waste in the same manner as fish.

By my thinking the snail population will begin small and may increase gradually. During this time they will be producing ammonia and other metabloic waste. At the same time the population of beneficial bacteria that use the ammonia will increase in proportion. That should stay in balance over time and should not be a problem.

I also now feel that snails carry these bacteria on their shells and are handy to throw into a new tank setup for starting a cycle. I usually throw some snails and floating plants into a new setup for a week or so before adding fish to a new tank. Been doing this for years and was puzzeled as to why so many posts were about problems with an initial tank set up and conditioning of the water. So far in my reflecting on this leads me to feel the plants and snails that I throw in must start the cycle process without chemicals. I also add only a one or two fish in the second week and wait a while.

In your signature, the betta is the only fish in the tank. There are no scavengers or other clean up fish to eat the food missed by the betta. The snails will do that job.

Snails also will munch on algae. The rams horns in my tanks do not get all of it on the glass, but do keep the stringy type down on my rooted plants.