do betta's like tight places?!?!

I had a betta in a large bowl before then i went out and bought a nice 2 1/2gal rectangular tank. I got creative and made some weird overflow section with some thin lexan and a bubbler to push the lightly filtered water back out. there's two chambers in one end of my tank, each chamber is like a 2x2inch rectangle and the betta jumps into it and swims around it. while it leaves the rest of the tank open! the micro bubbles are plentiful but small there and he then swims to a calmer chamber where the tank water flows into through a sponge at the entrance. do they like small places to hide in or does he likes the excercise? It's just seems to like the small room cause i had to be careful and scoop him out with a big spoon this morning and then my sister called by the afternoon saying he went back in there. hahahah. i'm gonna have to stuff the other way too then with foam. does anyone have this wierd trait with their betta?

Phooka

Large Fish
Aug 22, 2004
Baltimore
www.livejournal.com
I'm having a hard time picturing what you've got set-up, but it sounds like maybe the betta is going there to get out of the current? Bettas don't like strong currents, too hard for them to swim. I hvae one betta alone in a ten gallon tank, and he only swims in about half of it to avoid the current from the filters.
As for liking tight spaces, my boys will hide in plants sometimes, and they each have a little cave to go in, but for the most part they like to swim out in the open.

Rokl33t

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2004
Visit site
ya i got a 2.5 gal tank, probably the same one as yours. The best thing to do is jus make it specious and some places for ur betta to hide. Even tho a 2.5 gal tank is pretty big for a betta, don't get too carried away with decor.
http://www.angelfire.com/ak5/rokl33t/
my 2.5 gal betta tank is on that website, u are mroe then welcome to drop by and take a look

Ok i guess it's kinda hard for everyone to try picture the weird thing i was trying to do with my betta tank here's some pictures of my wierd experiment.

pic 1:
overhead view of the tank with the separate filter chambers i've created with lexan at the local hardware store. used silicon sealent all over it so it's sealed. excuse me for the ugly job but i had only a tube and this was some wacky thing that i just thought of to make. The chamber on the lower left of the tank is a lower opening so the surface water will flow into it prefiltered by the sponge first of any floaties (could add LOTS more media but i guess I didn't need it after all). While the very bottom the two chambers are connected and a bubbler thingy in the other chamber will push the water up and out into the main tank again.

pic 2:
just another view of my tank.

pic 3:
a good view of how the chambers are connected, the main tank has almost like no current at all except for the minimal outflow from the bubble chamber. The silly Betta of mine Jumps into the outflow, through the bubbles and underneath to the right chamber and hangs around there! happened twice already so i had to get a big spoon to get him out carefully.

So now i've fixed the problem i've added a layer of foam ontop of the opening of the outflow and high enough to leave enough of the opening to have the bubbles still be able to flow out but not let my ninja betta jump in again. he's a weird boy so i'll try to keep him outta trouble. might add some cheap ghost shrimps for him to terrorize in the future. but i'll give the shrimps a fighting chance with some small caves to hide out in. looks barren for now but i'll be adding just a bit more decorations and that's it. keeping it clean and spacious for him.

whatcha guys think of this setup? total cost was $20 canadian for tank and materials to glue together and cut out.

Last edited:

phanmc

New Fish
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
mine certainly appears to like tight places and strong currents. I have a heavily planted tank and the betta's always trying to squeeze between and underneath plants, like squeezing beneath the blades of dwarf hairgrasses.

He also likes to rest on my mag-float and thermometer that is directly in front of my filter and where the current's the strongest. He even swam into the filter exhaust a couple of times.

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
I have a betta in a 5 1/2 gal tank. He loves it. There is no filteration (his fin tail was sucked and he was attached for a short period) but he does have plants to hide. Also have three other male bettas and each have their own fish bowl. Your betta may think that the bubbles are his spawn nest and enjoys resting there. Our three bettas in their fish bowls enjoy resting under their bubble nest.

Jul 6, 2004
Massachusetts
Visit site
Homemade Setup

That's a very nice tank, Azreal911. Very cool how you made all that. And for so cheap!

I don't have any experience with Bettas doing that, but it seems like the others think it's pretty normal.

The only thing I could say is maybe to add a plant or two for some protection and to look a little more natural.

That seems like a very nice tank for your Betta.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Azreal911 ... nice filter setup. You've done you research and put some thought into it, well done. Sorta like a mini interal airstone powered overflow sump.

Its not the small space he likes, its the privacy. Some taller plants should help keep him in the main tank area. Try live plants, a combination of Java Moss and Java Fern (very easy to keep) looks really good over time. Use fishing line to tie the java moss around the PVC tube, it will grow around it over time.

Also, put something on the right-top side where he can built a bubble nest (opposite the outflow). A floating lilly or something simlar.