DIY Sump

jerky1280

Medium Fish
Nov 12, 2002
New London, CT
Visit site
I was just wondering what flow I should have if I was to use a 10-gal to make a sump for my 35 gal. I'm concerned about the flow ratings for the pump as well as what diameter hose I would need for the overflow to keep up with the pump flow.

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
What's the overflow rating do you have?

If it's 600gph overflow, then you should try to match the rating. If you get a pump that does over 600gph, then you throttle back the pump.

jerky1280

Medium Fish
Nov 12, 2002
New London, CT
Visit site
Right now I just have an in-tank filter (no overflow). I was just wondering how much flow I should have, and what size overflow pipe that would need.

Here's my basic idea:

I was planning on using a 10 gallon. I'm hoping that the large amount of substrate used as filter material will be not only easy to clean (just empty water and then scoop it out and rinse) but because of the large amount of material it won't need cleaning for long periods of time. Also, by re-using the material, bacterial colonies would remain intact.

Last edited:

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Is this a freshwater setup or a saltwater setup?

Either way, I think around 300gph to 500 gph is sufficient for a 35 gallon. Usually it's around the 8 to 10x turnover rate.

If you have too high of a flow in the sump, you will get too many microbubbles in the main tank.

You need to find an overflow box to match that rate.

jerky1280

Medium Fish
Nov 12, 2002
New London, CT
Visit site
The tank is freshwater. It will probably be upgraded to a 55 or larger sometime in the future.

Here's my idea for the overflow. Will 1" PVC provide enough drainage for the system? I am hoping that it will skim water off the surface, cleaning any "floaties" or other stuff off the surface. The intake from the tank is a 1" PVC pipe with as many holes in it as I can fit, surrounded by a 2" PVC pipe with a cap on the bottom (so it will hold water even when the tank level drops). This makes the actual piece in the aquarium take up minimum space. For the part that hangs off the outside, I figured I could use one of those things stores use to hold fish they are scooping out for customers.

Last edited: