DIY moonlighting finished :)

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
well it's been a long wait for me for all my LEDs to arrive but they finally did yesturday and got it all put together today. the wireing don't look the greatest but it is secure and water proof and unseen wich is all I care about. I will do another post with pics so u can see the proccess. as well as a mistake I made and had to rethink my wireing.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
ok well first off I had to mark the hood where my light goes. I left the light on and scored the hood with a knife so I knew not to drill my holes past the line. then I measured out the distance between each LED and marked the spots with my hot soldering iron. then drilled out my holes at each mark. what u see is only my soldering iron mark.

now I was planning on only 5 LEDs per side and that was my first mistake. and the second pic u can see I was lining my LEDs up in parallel. third pic is the soldered connection.

well I found out I needed alot more then 5 LEDs per side and could not hook more up like that cause the LEDs at the end would not light cause of the voltage drop. just 5 LEDs dropped the voltage from 16vdc to 1.4vdc. so I had to hook all of them up in a series. 1 power lead the whole length of the tank as well as the negative. then just tied into each as needed. u can see that in the 4th pic.

the 5th pic shows the whole setup all wired in and ready to go. and the 6th is the tank all together how it looks everyday. Can't even see the wires. proud of that lol.

and now the lights off and the moonlights on. looks just like I was wanting. then of course a close up of one of my fishes.

Hope everyone likes it and hope others may be able to take this setup and be able to apply it to ur tanks.

Attachments