DIY Lighting Fixture Modification

Kalavek

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2008
Vancouver BC
Here's an easy one. Have you ever wished tank manufacturers would include a timer built into the hood? Okay, some do I'm sure... for a price... but shouldn't it be a standard feature on an aquarium lighting fixture?

Actually my fixture wasn't designed with aquariums in mind - its a shop fixture with a good reflector. I considered buying some bulky awkward timer that would sit under the tank with the rest of the electrical jumble, but I knew there had to be a better place to put it. So I installed one directly in the fixture with a dremel and a drill.

Attachments

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
So the only thing that's stopped me from doing the same in the past was the lack of space to install a proper weather proof outlet box (junction box??). Other than that, looks good! This has been one of my major gripes with manufactured lights. I agree, it should be standard even on the lower end ones.

So how did you go about cutting the fixture? Did you drill out the 4 corners and zip in between with the Dremel?

Chris

Kalavek

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2008
Vancouver BC
I have a few of those cutoff wheels - they wear down fast and break easy, but they do work well for small jobs like this. After I took the fixture apart I just measured and marked my cut lines, then zipped 'em out. The housing is just sheet metal so it was an easy cut. The drill took care of the holes for the screws.

I didn't bother installing a junction box, since the ballast space essentially is one. The screws for the timer are tapped right into the fixture housing. Smack my wrist, but there is nothing weatherproof about the fixture. I make sure it is mounted in a way that doesn't allow water to collect on it, and failing that I replaced the outlet in the wall behind the tank with a GFCI.

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
LOL, I do NOT have the moral high ground to smack anyones wrist with DIY. I've done WAY more "stupid" (for lack of a better term) things than that ;). Just thought I'd mention is all.

All in all, you took precautions... good enough :). And just as important, it looks good.

Chris