DIY LED conversion?

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
Ok, so I was looking into it and might end up doing this... I want to disconnect the lights on my hood (2 10k for marine tank), and put in LED's instead. Should I even bother trying? I can't really get a new hood, and I want to grow the plants, so I need to find a way to cut down on the intensity of the light getting through the tank. I'm not sure if the lady at the store was just trying to sell me product or what, but she said not even a layer of floating plants would be enough to make it livable for the plants under the water. I'm really bent on using this little nano tank (really like the look of it), so I need to figure out how to switch out the lighting. Any ideas? I tried looking up DIY LED's, but got a whole lot of conversation and not much by way of answers. There are some LED strips for sale on amazon for relatively cheap (under $12), and one that claims to cover 5500k-6000k... would that be suitable for my plants? I would like something in the higher output range, but can't find specifics on any of the lights on there but the one in the link. Also, would I need the "warm" and "cool" lights? (The lady at the store said the plants can't utilize the blue spectrum at all, but then I keep reading that they need the blue spectrum... I'm so confused).

Also, should I look into the "waterproof" LED's? I was tring to find the output on those lights, but they were not specified.

Thanks in advance!!

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Duct-tape. You now what they say...

Just cover up some of the glass hood or something like that to block the light. Newman did something like that on one of his tanks.

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
I was told that putting anything like that even on the plastic part of the hood would risk fire... was I mis-informed? I told her I was thinking of putting the reflective film made for doors on the plastic piece in front of the lights and the lady said it was a huge fire risk (even if the film was not touching the bulbs). That (or duct tape) would be worlds easier and cheaper than a new LED conversion. I'm all for cheaper and easier...

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Plastic certainly shouldn't be a risk. Those hoods are made of it. I'm sure you can find some material that is not easily ignited to block the light. Oh, here's an idea. Go to home depot and by a 1' tile of mirror and a glass knife. Cut them to fit. Cutting glass is easy, I've done it many times. My boys break a window every few minutes.

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
we have tons of that at home too...I will look into the film we have, as it's just in the other room. My next choice would eb the mirror or maybe some water-proof tape to put on the outside of the fixture. I think the film we have is the stuff they also put on car windows down here. If the bulb is not giving off much heat, and it doesn't touch the film, it should be ok.

Thanks FishDad!

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
well if the lights are compacts, they can get ultra hot, so be careful. if you can touch the hood or splash shield at the end of the day(of the lights being on) and not be burned by it then I'd say you can try to make a shade for the tank. it all depends on how much clearance you have between the water and the light.

If the lady said that plants can't use blue light, she clearly didn't learn enough about plants. however she is half right - that plants do need a daylight spectrum of anywhere around 3,500K to 10,000K. the best is around 6,700K.

Yea as FishDad said, I did do LEDs for my tank. i gutted out my fluorescent bulb and reflector and put in a DIY LED kit. it cost a lot however (I put in a dimmer too) so idk if you want to go that route.

maybe try taking a bulb out? idk how yours is designed..

dont bother using the blue LEDs that came on the hood fixture you have. you can disconnect them.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
+1^^

Fortunately the future of the hobby is programmable LEDs where this really won't be an issue. You might want to look into them as purchase down the road. Very cool technology. They have LED's that mimic weather patterns based on what zip code you punch in.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
My LFS has them. I can remember the name. I can get it though. I have seen plenty of LEDs that mimic storms and clouds but this one in particular could mimic specific zips.

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
Holy cow that would be so cool! I would love one of those. It reminds me of these really awesome reptile cages a guy in CT makes that will mimic thunderstorms at a programmable interval. I really want one of those some day, but they are incredibly expensive. I have seen the programmable LED's by Satellite (?) online and yesterday in the store, but that was WAY out of my current budget.

I will test the splash guard tonight. I think it's relatively cool to the touch, but I am not sure.

Would something made to cut down on the UV penetration also work to cut own on the intensity? The stuff I'm thinking of is a mirro film we use on all the sliding doors to help keep the house cool and keep things from getting too sun-bleached. I don't have specs on the stuff, or even the brand, so I can't really look it up specifically. I just know what it does for the house.

The only thing I use the blue LED's for is the night viewing after my wife goes to sleep (she works insanely early most mornings, so the fish lights go off around 6pm. I still like to watch the guy swimming, so I use the blue LED because they don't wake her.

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
I tested the splash-guard and it was cool to the touch, so I will try the film on it. Is there a way to test the level of the light that penetrates the tank? I know there's ways to test UVB, but not sure about testing how much light reaches the plants... If this does not work, I will try the screening or opaque plexi. (just because I have the film on hand)

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I was told that putting anything like that even on the plastic part of the hood would risk fire... was I mis-informed? I told her I was thinking of putting the reflective film made for doors on the plastic piece in front of the lights and the lady said it was a huge fire risk (even if the film was not touching the bulbs). That (or duct tape) would be worlds easier and cheaper than a new LED conversion. I'm all for cheaper and easier...
Maybe the high dollar marine LED setups get hot, but I've never felt an LED lamp/fixture give off any heat at all.