DIY filter

Oct 15, 2010
Items needed:
Bottle- like the plastic pop bottles NOTE: for tanks larger than 20 gallons, use a 2 litre bottle.
Aquarium gravel
Filter wool
PVC pipe
Airline tubing
Air pump
Activated carbon (if wanted)
Small piece of sponge

Tools needed:
Knife
Scissors
warm fork (or something to poke small holes into the bottle)

Start with the bottle. Take the bottle, and find where the it comes flat. Cut the top of the bottle off with the knife. Make both pieces smoother with the scissors. Take the top, and poke holes in it with the warm fork. Press the PVC pipe into the mouth of the bottle. The side that you cut, should be at the bottom, with the end of the pipe about an inch above the cut end. Take the bottom of the bottle (this piece should look like a cup), and gently press the bottom of the top piece (the one with the pipe) down to the bottom of the lower half.

Now you can begin to add the media etc. Add a layer of gravel just under 1/3 of the way up the bottle. You can also add carbon if you wish. Take your filter wool, and fill the bottle about sn inch from the top. NOTE: do not get anything in the PVC pipe or the top half of the bottle that is now in the bottom half. Now that you have your media in the bottle, you are ready to get your airline tubing. Put the tubing all of the way to the bottom of the bottle. Hold it there, and cut a piece of sponge that will fit in the PVC pipe, around the tubing. This will help keep the tubing in the bottle. Connect the tubing to the air pump, and place the bottle in your tank. Turn on the pump, and the air will act as a vacuum, and pull the water through the filter. It is normal for bubbles to come out the top of the pipe.

You now have a cheap, working aquarium filter. Change the media and wool as needed. Tou NEVER need to change the gravel. If you do change the gravel, use gravel from the tank, not fresh gravel. There in no need to ever rinse anything with tap water, after you have started to use it. You can watch a video on how this is made on youtube.

If you have questions, I will try to answer them. Also, if I have left something out of am not very clear, I will fix that- just tell me.

phin

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2009
I'm sorry, but I didn't understand your instructions. Either way, a soda bottle in a tank would look unsightly and take up a good deal of space. Whats wrong with just making a sponge filter with a pump/powerhead or air pump?

Oct 15, 2010
I dont know. I just saw some people do it, and I figured I would post it. You could find a way to hide it behing plants or something, but it would still show a bit. There are also many videos on youtube. Theese are really helpfull in the way of them making it on video. I guess this idea is cheap, and is not bad for long power outages- you can still have your filter, air, and all you would need is a battery powered pump.

I reccomend that you watch the youtube video either way.

Oct 15, 2010
I figured that some of you would like to save some money. I guess not. It is pretty easy to hide theese things, and it would take up as much space as as a normal filter. I figured that some of us would like this idea. Boy, was I wrong.

Oct 15, 2010
Yes, but you can always use this when the power is out, and you dont have a generator. its not like you need to have it all pretty when the power is out. This will also work as an air pump. All you need is a battery powered pump, which most of us should have anyway.

If you are going to comment, at least be nice! I took the time to write this post.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2010
Dont worry about it. It is hard sometimes to get what you mean by another person the right way, while you are typing. You cant add certain things to your message, that you could say for people to understand. You cant use certain expressions, and it can be very hard to say things, and make them take it the right way. It takes time to do all of this, and help people understand.