DIY Driftwood Log - Log

You could always try boiling one end then the other if it doesn't all fit into a pot at once, if you have roughly decent sized pot.

Back home at a farmer's market a guy was selling bags of ocean driftwood for super cheap, and for any that don't fit into the pot I just boil parts of it at a time.

Worst case is that you miss part of the middle, but the ends will go quicker and have a majority of any bacteria gone.

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Okay, I did the best I could with boiling it. I would say I managed to get about 25% of it boiled directly. I let it dry out until the next morning then sunk it in the tank. It has about three rocks on because it's still very buoyant.

Here's a pic of it dry and a few pics of it in the tank. It's a little more imposing than I expected, but it looks good to me overall. (Yes, I know I need a background.)

Edit: So should I rush out and get my clown pleco right away or give the wood time to sit a week? The waiting is the hardest part of this game.

Attachments

Last edited:

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
I'm probably going to flip it today so I can actually find the clown pleco. The way it sits there's a whole 50% of the log that I can't see. He/she really likes that side. It should also give me a nice long strip to plant some java fern.

Glad you like it though.

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Well, still no Java fern, but I did rotate the log. I'm down to using just one rock (Tied to it). Hopefully I'll be able to remove it in a week or two.

I completely underestimated the size of this thing. I have to put a rock under one of the branches or it leans up against both sides of the tank.

It also leaches tannins "a little". Because I'm basically using half light it give it a cool effect IMO.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I think I've got a piece of wood to use, but I had a few questions about variations in the process. First, can I soak the wood in the tank and do water changes? There isn't currently anything but snail in my tank, so it wouldn't be upsetting any fish. Second, rather than boiling, can I put the wood in the oven? That sounds crazy, but it was just a thought that crossed my mind that might be easier than boiling since it's a big piece of wood.

Feb 27, 2009
First, can I soak the wood in the tank and do water changes?
The only reason to soak/boil the wood is to remove tannins. There is nothing wrong with tannins (softer water fish live in rivers/lakes with lots of tannins and feel very comfortable with it - it gives them a sense of security). Most people don't like the darker look of the water, which is why all the fuss of boiling or soaking the wood. It also helps to get the wood become water-logged, so it will sink instead of float. Some say it 'sterilizes' the wood in the process. I have my doubts about that tho.

Second, rather than boiling, can I put the wood in the oven? That sounds crazy, but it was just a thought that crossed my mind that might be easier than boiling since it's a big piece of wood.
I've not done this personally, but I've heard of folks that do. I'd be careful you don't start a fire in your oven though!

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
You'd do better to put it in your dishwasher instead of the oven. It's just a smidgen below boiling it.

Edit: Here's a couple of bad pics of it as it is now.

I just need to let it sink and add more plants now.

Last edited:

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
If part of the wood was sticking out of the top of the tank, would it still float? Somehow in my mind this would keep the log from floating, but I can't begin to explain why. I'm looking at some bigger tripod-shaped pieces that could stick out if I don't cut them, so if this will work, I may leave them too long until the bottoms get all waterlogged.

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
They're going to float for a while regardless. Unless you boil them for several hours they will still float. I'm still not to the point where my log sinks on its own. Having a small piece stick out wouldn't really matter. If it's still buoyant it's still buoyant.

Rocks, use them. :D

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I was reading last night about boiling vs not boiling, and read it would last a lot longer before rotting if you didn't boil it. Does anyone know the difference there, or the timeframe for it not rotting if you DO boil it?

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Log date: Last Friday the 22nd

After a 30-40% water change my numbers are super happy at 0/0/10. However, there's a nice white haze in the tank. It looks like my log is cycling. Maybe the damned thing will finally sink now.

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
I was reading last night about boiling vs not boiling, and read it would last a lot longer before rotting if you didn't boil it. Does anyone know the difference there, or the timeframe for it not rotting if you DO boil it?
I don't think there are any really hard-pressed numbers, but I've heard about some smaller, lighter pieces going bad in as little as a year. Larger, harder pieces would take longer I believe.

The common understanding is that boiling takes away the chemical bonds in wood or something like that. Keeping wood isn't exactly a delicate science though.

Feb 27, 2009
I have 7 pieces of wood in various tanks that I've had for 5+ years. I do not keep plecos so there is not a lot of rasping going on, but they are all in good shape. 3 were boiled, 4 were not.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I just got a piece of wood. I'm going to take the bark off then dishwasher it tonight. How thick are your pieces OC? The one I have right now is like an inch think in the branches, but I'd like to get a thicker piece so it will rot slower. Also, how can you tell when its rotten and needs to be taken out?