DIY Driftwood Log - Log

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Greetings and salutations. This isn't a "how to", but a "how I did it" for making driftwood. A log for making a log.

So about a year ago, when I was first starting to read about aquarium stuff I cut down a tree in my backyard. It wasn't yew or pine or any aromatic wood. I really don't know what it is, but it's pretty hard wood. Hard enough to eat my chainsaw. I wound up using an axe to cut it down. It was hard wood.

Fast forward to present day. A six foot section of the tree, now a log, has seasoned for over a year outside in the elements. Some sections of the bark have fallen off, while others are still pretty well stuck to the trunk. I cut off about a 16 inch section from the top, where all the limbs used to jut out. It's sort of pretty in its own way.

So now, tonight, I decided to get off my lazy butt, strip the bark and do a bleach and leech. Unfortunately, the bark did not come off easily, but required a wood chisel to dig off most of it. It took me the better part of three hours to chisel off the bark from this darn thing. Hopefully this means the wood is super hard and won't start rotting in the immediate future. Either way, with the little sections of darker bark and lighter wood makes it sort of look Mopani-ish.

Once most of the bark was chiseled off I took a wire brush to it and realized it was pretty much futile to brush the remaining bark off. Once everything's said and done the pleco I get should have a bark feast on his hands. A little dust came off and that was about it.

Now that my wood is prepared it's time for the bleaching. NO I DID NOT USE BLEACH! I used about a cup or two of lemon juice in a hot water bath. About 24 hours from now I shall be dumping the lemon water and replacing it with regular hot water to begin the tannin and lemon juice leeching.
(No, it does not sink on its own yet.)

I'll update in a day or three.

Pics of pre-prepared wood included:
Pic 1: Compared to the log it came off of.
Pic 2: Standing on its own, it's too high for my tank, yet fairly pretty.
Pic 3: Compared to a case of water for perspective.

Attachments

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I've really been looking into getting some wood for my tank. I have a plastic log and some petrified wood right now. Is it really okay to add real wood that isn't drift wood as long as you leech it first?

Feb 27, 2009
I have wood in all but two of my tanks, and its all wood I've gathered locally and cleaned. I've never used any lemon juice though. I've just boiled it to soften the bark and used a wire brush to remove it. Most of the time it will sink once boiled (gets waterlogged). A few I've tied to a large rock and they sink after a few months without being tied down.

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
The piece is too big to boil. Otherwise I'd have done it. The lemon bleach is done. I dumped that water and added regular, plain old hot water. now that it's wet, it's giving off a really nice orange-ish hue (or maybe that's the orange bin it's in). It still floats. I'm guessing another week of leaching will get it closer to sinking without adding any rocks.

No pics today. Maybe tomorrow.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
So just a few questions before I start looking for a log to do this...

It needs to be relatively fresh cut, or atleatst "fresh," right? Meaning that I can't just go grab one out of someone's back yard that's been rotting in the mud?

And speaking of rotting, what keeps it from rotting in the tank? Is there some sort of treatment or does it just depends on the type of wood?

And on type of wood, is there trees that work better than others for this?

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Green wood is bad. Don't use green wood. It takes too long and you're more likely to get quickly deteriorating wood. (I.E. the wood will rot quickly.) Use wood that has been seasoned. There are several reasons for doing this, one one which is so you know the wood is hard enough to live in a bad environment. If it falls apart in a year you never should have put it on water to begin with. I would also assume that there's a living bacteria/bugs issue with wet wood, but I haven't read anything specific about it.

You want to choose very hard woods that don't bleed toxins. Pine and Yew will poison your fish. The rule I heard is of you can scratch the wood with your thumbnail (the wood, not the bark) it's not hard enough.

Note: I am in no way an expert in doing this. I've never done it before. One of the reasons I'm making this a log is so when I screw up someone more experienced can go "Hey dumbass! You're gonna kill your fish if you do that!"

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
So if pine and yew are out, what kinds are still in?

I'm trying to google some stuff but its mostly just telling to how to bleach and leach, which isn't what I'm looking for since you're already said.

Feb 27, 2009
It needs to be relatively fresh cut, or atleatst "fresh," right? Meaning that I can't just go grab one out of someone's back yard that's been rotting in the mud?
You want wood that has been 'dead' for awhile. Don't use "fresh" wood. If it is soft (rotting), don't use it.

And speaking of rotting, what keeps it from rotting in the tank? Is there some sort of treatment or does it just depends on the type of wood?
Nothing will prevent the wood from rotting over time in the tank. As long as its hard wood, it will take years to do so. I have a few pieces that are 8+ years old.

The fish you keep will affect the 'tank life' of the wood. Plecos like to rasp wood and some need to, so they basically are chewing it up over time.

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
The woods that you "can" use falls into such a broad category. I think we just use "pine and yew" as the no-no's because just about anything else that's hard enough will work. What do pine and yew look like? Check the leaves:

Pine:

Yew:

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Stardate: Friday, October 1st, 2010.

Captain's Log - Log: Wife finally asks what the hell I'm doing soaking a log in the garage. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Also spotted my future $10 clown pleco at the LFS. Comparing fish to wood sizes, unless it totally rots the pleco will never eat the whole thing.

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
So I took it out and used a wire brush on it. It looks like most of the bark is off. I don't think I'll be scrubbing it like that again. It's about done with that.

It still smells of tannins. I'll be keeping it in fresh water for at least another week. Here are some progress pics.

Attachments

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
Looking good, man. I was worried about having a piece of wood in my tank that wasn't brown for aesthetic reasons, so I'm glad to see that your turned out that color. I've been keeping my eye out for some wood to do this myself, but after seeing yours I'm for sure I want to do this.

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Good luck on finding some good wood. And if you can, boil it instead. It's literally weeks to months faster.

Now here's hoping I don't kill my fish when I sink it next week.

If it did kill my fish I'd be out a grand total of $7. Isn't that sort of silly? I have almost a hundred dollars invested for $7 bucks worth of fish. Heh, what we do for our babies.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I have a bit more than 7 dollars worth of fish, but probably still under 50.

I want something fairly big, so unless I go out and buy a soup pot (which I probably wouldn't find doing anyways) I wouldn't be able to boil it. I'm willing to wait a month for it just so I don't have to spend a ton of money on a large chunk of wood at a store.