Diy co2

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
ok so i read the other threads but i am still confused on the making.

i want to do this with my 55g. ok so i get a 2 liter bottle, drill hole and run tubing into tank with mixture (i actually get this part) but powerhead what do you mean by that? and do you just run the tubing into the back on the gravel? does the pressure from the mixture push itself thru the tubing into your tank? or do you need something that helps that? also i was thinking that if you get it ran i saw these misting methods but didnt quite understand how to do this. what kind of sealant do you use to seal the holes on the bottle? is it just silicone? and for a 55 would you use a duplicate of this system/method, 1 on each side?

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
I would do two 2 liters.... one on each side would be better than trying a T valve like I did...You run it into a diffuser or a power filter to chop up the bubbles... the pressure will push the gas out on its own...

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Use aquarium silicone or any silcone w/o anti fungus/mold additives in it. You want to put the airline in and seal from under the cap and over. I used a good amount . Let it set for a day or whatever it says.

To test it..put the cap on Crimp the airline tube and squeeze the bottom slightly. If it does not come out your set.

The mixture will produce co2 and force itself out the bottle and through your airline tube.

If you decide to use a check valve..check it whenever you change out your bottles.

I also placed my airline from the co2 bottle just into the filter intake basket on my Magnums...and made sure the output of the filter was under the water facing downward.

I needed 2 at first on my 55 gallon. When I upgraded my lightening I had to add a 3rd and honestly a 4th was probebly needed at some point...but 3 worked.

I also found that in the colder monthes if I kept the bottles in a heated water bath they pumped the co2 out more on a steady rate than when the mixture got cold.

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
Use aquarium silicone or any silcone w/o anti fungus/mold additives in it. You want to put the airline in and seal from under the cap and over. I used a good amount . Let it set for a day or whatever it says.

To test it..put the cap on Crimp the airline tube and squeeze the bottom slightly. If it does not come out your set.

The mixture will produce co2 and force itself out the bottle and through your airline tube.

If you decide to use a check valve..check it whenever you change out your bottles.

I also placed my airline from the co2 bottle just into the filter intake basket on my Magnums...and made sure the output of the filter was under the water facing downward.

I needed 2 at first on my 55 gallon. When I upgraded my lightening I had to add a 3rd and honestly a 4th was probebly needed at some point...but 3 worked.

I also found that in the colder monthes if I kept the bottles in a heated water bath they pumped the co2 out more on a steady rate than when the mixture got cold.
thanks for the help. helps me understand A LOT more. thanks

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Also, if you buy yeast that you cnat use all of in one setting..refrigerate it. You then should allow the yeast to come to room temp before adding it to the warm water.

This is a link to the one I put together about 7 or 8 years ago..used to be on this web site.
Matt's DIY CO2 - Tropical Fish Forums UK

Clothahump(a member here) kept it and has it on his site if you want pictures in the above link.

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
Also, if you buy yeast that you cnat use all of in one setting..refrigerate it. You then should allow the yeast to come to room temp before adding it to the warm water.

This is a link to the one I put together about 7 or 8 years ago..used to be on this web site.
Matt's DIY CO2 - Tropical Fish Forums UK

Clothahump(a member here) kept it and has it on his site if you want pictures in the above link.
when you say use a check valve what do you mean and is that on the part about 1' up the hose from the bottle?