DIY co2 system. Will it work?

Feb 27, 2009
For DIY CO2 generation, I've only used the reactor, tubing, and a diffusor. The pressure of the CO2 being created has always pushed the CO2 into the water on its own. I get 30ppm CO2 with just those 3 parts, plants pearl and oxygen levels remain close to saturation level even an hour before 'sunrise' of the lighting period.

Be careful you are not going to get the yeast/sugar mixture in the tank.

What recipe do you use for your reactor?

Last edited:

Jake777

Small Fish
Dec 17, 2011
I mixed 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon yeast and half gull 2 lifer of room temp water. Almost nobubbles make it to the top of the tank from the diffuser and I'm getting lots of new growth so I think its working. The yeast solution cant make it into the tank. I will add a check valve to be sure.

Feb 27, 2009
A check valve? How would it stop the yeast solution but not the flow of CO2?

You can tell your CO2 concentration by measuring your pH and KH levels. Sounds like the proof is in the plant growth though :)

Jake777

Small Fish
Dec 17, 2011
Your right the check valve wont help but the liquid level is very far from the air hose so for now I think I'm safe. My ph def dropped some and within 24 hrs all my plants have fully opened new shoots on every branch. All bun one....and my swords that hadn't grown in 2-3weeks and looked like a lost cause are almost as tall as the tank!!! I'm super excited this seems to be working

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
One of these days I need to get into a planted tank again. I had one a decade ago or so that got ravaged by snails!!! It was a big loss!! I must have got some plants with snails is all I can guess because all of the sudden i seen a coupe, then a few, then HOLY COW is was a down ward spiral as they got fat on my plants. That was my first and last attempt at a tank without fish LOL.