DIY CO2 Diffuser/Reactor

Disco

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I am in the process of making a DIY co2 system but Im stuck on one thing. Is it better to make a home-made or get a store bought, CO2 Diffuser. I saw something at my LFS that was an "Atomizer". It had an area where you could see the bubble float up and then it hit a thin layer of diffuser-type material. Can I make something home-made like this and where can I find the plans or is it better jsut to buy one?

chooks

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
That diffuser material is very likely a ceramic disk.  I don't believe that you could DIY something that sophisticated.  If you want to save cash, try an airstone.  For some reason I've had several airstones "melt" from the co2 gas(They make much larger bubbles than atomizers too = not great).  If you can spend the $20, I'd buy that atomizer.  I have one in my tank right now and it works awesome.  I always get streams of bubbles leaking our of the leaves.  It works better than anything else I've tried.  I also know that some people hook the co2 to their power filters, If you've got one, you might want to check that out..

Disco

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Chooks, I have the same message basically in a post in the Aquatic Plants forum and they said the atomizer is best when used with a pressurized system because with DIY, the bubbles arent under enough pressure to go all the way through, I think thats the way it went...

yeah... with diy you dont have enough pressure usually.  (Unless your yeast is on steroids or something...and then you're blowing 2 liters every week...which since I've never seen that I don't think it's possible... hehehehe)

ANYWAY...  airstone is typically the best.  Find the ones that make the fine bubbles.  There are those that are made specifically for big coarse bubbles (probably UGF or something? I guess) and then those that make fine bubbles.  They will be marked for that.  I know Tetra does mark them for their brand of airstones.  

Airstone in my experience will "melt" (really it just turns into a sand because the bonds that hold it together have weakened) after about 1.5-2 months of use.  This is due to the fact where the CO2 contacts water it makes an acid and it weakens the airstone.

you can find info on CO2 DIY process, problems, details, etc on my website at http://www.littlefishtank.com/faq

This will give more detail than some people need.  Basicly process is as follows:

Obtain the following:
1 - 2 liter bottle clean and empty
1 - Airline  Check Valve
2 - cups sugar
6 - cups warm water (approximately 100 degrees. plus or minus 5 degrees)
1/4 - tsp bread or active dry yeast (red star, fleishcmanns, etc)
1 -  ft length of silicon or rigid plastic tubing
X - length of same tubing as above long enough to go from bottle up and into tank.
1 - airstone (wood or rock/stone  the rock/stone version works better but comes in 2 versions.  One makes large bubbles for UGF and one makes fine bubbles.  Get the fine bubble version)

Mix 1 cup of Warm water and yeast together in a non metalic cup until disolved.  Allow to sit for about 5-10 minutes.  If yeast was cold allow measured amount to warm to room temperature prior to placing in water or mix with 1/2 warm 1/2 cold water (cold first, slowly add warm to it)   After waiting slight foam or bubble should be visible.  If not do not be concerned over this.  While waiting add sugar through funnel into bottle along with warm water, mix this well until sugar is disolved into water.  Add yeast water mixture to sugar water and mix well.  (Will have yeast particles floating in bottle...do not be concerned with this.. just mix back and forth 3-4 times)

Also needs various plumbers fittings or a small amount of aquarium silicone sealant.  Do not use Silicone Caulking from hardware store.  Must be aquarium approved sealant.  Most hardware stores (home depot, lowes, etc) will carry this near the caulks in a special "glue" section for things such as goop and superglue.

If you have the fittings direction you should get some teflon tape as well.  Use the fitting that is similar to the garden hose threads to fit on the top of the bottle.  Do not use the hose type fitting though.  Get the solid brass fittings that have no swivel piece in them.  Solid metal with threads on both ends.. also get a hose washer.  Insert hose washer into hose sized end of brass fittings.  Connect various reduction fittings until you use the barbs to get the 1 ft tubing attached to the fittings.  Attach other end of 1 ft tubing to check valve.  Take the rest of the tubing and plug one end into the check valve.  Attach other end to airstone.  Do not insert in tank yet.  Wrap top of soda bottle with teflon tape (about 10-12 times around), use pipe wrench or adjustable wrench on brass fitting.  On flange that sticks out from 2 liter bottle attach channel lock type pliers or other coarse toothed plier like tool onto bottle.  Turn the brass fitting onto the bottle until it is very tight and you cannot keep hold with the channel locks onto the bottle.  Now insert airstone into water.  Run it next to or under the intake to your filter as this will difuse the gas into the water better.

After about 24-72 hours the airstone should start bubbling.

If you do not use plumbing fittings insert bottle cap into vice, clamp, and drill bottle cap.  Use Aquarium Sealant to seal one end of 1ft tubing into bottle cap that has been drilled.  Alternately you could also use Goop glue to seal this as well as Goop is one of the few glues that will stick to plastic used in soda bottle lids.  Tubing should stick about 1/2 inch past the surface of the bottle cap.  Seal well and allow to dry for at least 24 hours for aquarium silicone.  Allow slightly longer for the goop glue as this will give off more fumes. Assemble rest of tubing as described for the plumbing method.

If you have further questions see the FAQ on my site or email me and I will be happy to assist.

During the first few days of running the DIY CO2 when it begins bubbling be sure to keep daily checks of pH until you are sure it is running ok.  If you need to adjust pH due to changes CO2 has made do so with non phosphate containing pH adjusters.  If you are in doubt ask on the message boards here.  Many pH adjusters contain phosphates.  This will cause an algae bloom with CO2.  Some examples of those with phosphates is a product by TLC for pH down and pH higher. Most pH adjusters do contain this so you will have to be careful.

Additionally you will probably need to add Iron supplements such as Flourish Iron and/or use a Flourite substrate.  Also consider ordering a fertilizer such as Tropica's Master Grow.  Tropica is world recognized for quality plants and plant products (which plants are only sold as a franchise Licensed name in the US since Tropica's plants are not eligible for import here directly) most of all ask people if you have questions.

R

ronrca

On saturday I set up the C02 reactor. 2l bottle with airstone under a petridish right beside the output of my canister filter. Within a couple of hours, the reactor was producing C02 and there is a big bubble under the petridish. C02 seems to be dissapating into the water because I have noticed faster algae growth. My pH is now 7.4 instead of 7.6+. I have to buy a high pH test to determine how high it was before. However, I still would like to lower the pH to at least 7.0. The tank is 90G. Is the next step adding another reactor? How long does it take for C02 to dissapate into water? Or should I just wait another week or 2?

There is another thread somewhere on the Krib with a very nice chart indicating the difference between the CO2 level in the water based on pH and KH in your tank.  You should look for this chart and test KH as well before you lower your levels too much due to the fact that too much CO2 can suffocate your fish.  However... you do have a very large tank.  1 Bottle simply will not be very much production.  The general suggestion is every week add another bottle assuming you use 2 or 3 cups of sugar and 1/4 tsp yeast your bottle should last for at least 3 weeks and up to 4.  By adding a new one every week you then will minimize the impact of pH change.  Also it will stagger your bottle changes to one per week.  This will then slow pH swings since they will cycle in while the other two are still performing etc.  For your purposes for that size of a tank I would advise using DIY for a few months to "validate" the need for CO2 to yourself and then invest in a pressurized gas bottle system when your funds allow if you are satisfied with CO2 results.

But yes.. you simply add more bottles to increase distribution in water.  Typically within 1 week you should see maximum distribution in the water.  I would suggest trying to find a way if you have a canister filter or other Hang on tank filter to try to get the bubbler to be in the flow of water that is taken into the filter and then passed through the impeller.  This will allow finer bubbles to collect in the filter media and disperse into the out flow water.  However this does not work as well for filters with spray bars.

Hope this helps!

R

ronrca

Thanks Stephen! I am aware of the chart and have looked at it many times. I will be adding another bottle tomorrow most likely. I hope it helps.