DIY 40 and 10 stand

Feb 10, 2011
Land O Lakes, FL, USA
Yeah, the brackets are way overkill, but you do need some sort of shear protection on a stand. That means you either need brackets, or to skin it with plywood on atleast 3 sides. I chose to do both just because I'm paranoid, but its for sure not necessary.

I cut out the plywood today and will be staining it tomorrow depending on how my arm feels in the morning. I stepped on a nail at the wood shop today and had to go get a tetnis shot, but I'm so pumped about getting to work on this stand I'll probably go to work on it anyways. And, or course, there will be pictures.
Personally i would have doubled the 2 x 4 on the corners and used a lap joint there. You want your main weight to rest on something that will hit the floor. The frame rests on the lap joint then the 2 x rests on the floor. Ton of strength that way. I also would have used through bolts if I wasn't going to skin it with plywood.

Any of the treated woods are hazardous. They do, after all contain insecticides. I wouldn't let any PT anywhere near any of my tanks.

Mar 17, 2011
Right now I've got my 29 gallon sitting on some industrial looking black metal stand full of welds that's supposedly 'only for a 10 gallon'... gimme a break PetCo.. you could sit a Sherman tank on that stand and it would be ok.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
Yeah, I'm pretty certain you could park a car on mine and it would be fine, and its only made out of wood. I can't imagine the weight it would hold if it were made out of 2x4 metal beams, but that would just be crazy.

I got the drawer in this weekend, so now the entire stand is finished. I should have pictures up when I get home from class today.
I have plans to make a matching hood that's about 6 inches tall to hide my lights and filter hoses and whatnot, but I don't currently have room for it in my apartment. :/ I live in a loft with an angled ceiling, and the back side of my tank is pretty much touching to ceiling so I'll have to wait until I move in June to actually be able to do anything with a hood, but I'll post plans of it here as soon as I figure those out. I hope all my pictures have been helpful to anyone interested in doing something similar.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
Okay, here's the picture of the pretty much finished stand.

I'd like to paint the back of my tank black, but I'm still trying to figure that one out. I used acrylic for the fry tank, but it peel off way too easy whenever its scratched, but spray paint just seems to permanent. Anyone have any experience with painting tanks?
I'm also debating on swapping out the neon gravel, but it has a sort of "retro-charm," and I know I'd kinda miss it if it was gone...

Mar 26, 2011
Malden, MA
PT isn't as bad for you as it used to be, but it's still not good for you. They don't recommend that you use it for raised garden beds for example, if there is ANY chance someone may not be thinking down the road and plants veggies in them. Do the kitties think you are building them a jungle gym? :)

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
Thanks!

PT isn't as bad for you as it used to be, but it's still not good for you. They don't recommend that you use it for raised garden beds for example, if there is ANY chance someone may not be thinking down the road and plants veggies in them. Do the kitties think you are building them a jungle gym? :)
Yes, they definitely do. Its not so bad now that all the holes are pretty much closed up, but I've opened the door a few times and found a cat inside that got in through the back lol.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
Haha, I wouldn't say it necessarily looks good, I've just had it for so long I've become sort of attached to it, and I think my girlfriend secretly likes it. I guess it can stay, for now.

Meleemaker

Medium Fish
Nov 17, 2010
Pierre SD
Im a giant fan of having all black gravel with a mix of neeon gravel....so like 10 blacks:1 neon. I think that really makes a tank pop, especially with some really bright plastic plants.

My tank stand was no where near that complex, I cant believe you did that all from scratch off your head. I used studs(on sale ftw) and some 1/2 particle board to make 10 gallon tank stand....well its supporting 6 fully stocked tanks now and its doing okay. I was really careful to make sure I got all the horizontals in level...which I still didnt after measuring for an hour...

But Your tank stand/set up looks awesome. I love the hidden fry tank.