Discus

charls

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
San Antonio, TX
Hey everyone. In approximatly 1 week i will be getting 2 discus. 1 Wild discus and one red/blue discus. I have a tank setup for them and i am acclimating it for them right now.

PH=7.0/soft water/Temp=81.

I am planning to breed these 2 and was hopeing someone would have some hints on how to mate them. They are approximatly 2-2 1/2 inches in diameter. If anyone has experience or addvise or you just want to say "Cool your getting discus" Please respond.

Thank You
Sinceraly, Charls a.k.a snow a.k.a Skyler

Jul 1, 2008
WOW congrats on the discus. I think they're by far the best fish.*PEACE!* Do you have enough plants for them?:confused: Also i think you might want to get more than two discus to improve the odds of them breeding. Of course this means haveing a larger tank. Good luck with the discus! Hope they breed.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
first off...

yo need a male and female to breed them. discus are not sexable unless they breed for sure so for all yo know yo will have two females or two males.

they wont just breed even if yo have a male and female, it depends on if they pair up or not. sometimes they do sometimes they dont.

they do better in groups too...one will probably be a lot more dominent and the other may get picked on a bit so keep an eye out.

wit the wild, yo will have to try and keep him fat and healthy wit different frozen foodd cause i doubt he will eat flakes or pellets.

its best to have at least 5 in a tank...what size tank are yo puttin these two in?

and by acclimatin their tank...do yo mean cyclin? if so do daily water changes and get some rock from yo other tanks to seed it...discus are a bit touchy and dont handle cycles well specially bein young and just shipped

good luck wit them though
will def wanna see pictures :)