discus.

Somonas

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O-town
www.myfishtank.net
I am sure this has been discus-sed before.  here goes

Question - coming from an african cichlid / planted tank guy who has absolutely no experience with discus or angels whatsoever.

Can I put these together in a 65 gallon 48x18x18. this would be heavilly planted with big echinodorus bleheris, lots of vallisneria spiralis, would have plenty of water lettuce on the surface, lots of mopani driftwood, and some rockwork on 45 degree angles to facilitate breeding.

I heard somewhere that angels and discus cannot coexist due to a parasite in angelfish.

I have done no research whatsoever - if it is possible to persue this I will research, of course.

thanks.

R

ronrca

Thats what I have heard also. Angelfish tend to be immune to some disease that can infect discus. Maybe immune is not the correct word but they can be carriers of some diseases. Unless you take the proper steps in ensuring that the angelfish are clean, it might not be a problem. I would definitely quarintine the angelfish for at least a month (maybe more) and medicate against the diseases that the angels might have. That might help.

But then again, if you buy some beautiful $100 discus, why risk it. Just my opinion. 8)

Somonas

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O-town
www.myfishtank.net
someone told me that a 65 would be too small for discus.

Discusaquarium are you here ???

how about this.  how about a nice altum angel in my 33 planted http://members.rogers.com/artsfish/april14-33.jpg  

this altum angel is at the LFS - it's about 4" long and 6" high.

current residents in the 33 are tetras about 10, clown loach, 2 rams, a small pleco and a bunch of oto cats ?