Discus Water Problems

CharleyH

Small Fish
Sep 5, 2006
I have a 29 Gal tank with three smaller discus, 4 rummy nose, 1 blue ram, and 1 cory cat. I normally do a 5 gallon water change once per week and use a power vaccume to clean the gravel once per week. My nitrates are fine...My PH is about 6.1...I use 100% RO Water. Everything had been fine in the tank for months...then for some reason the amonia level started rising....and won't stop. this has been going on for nearly a month. Ihave tried everything I can think of and I still have the problem. Here are some of the things I have tried.

1) I started by doing a 5 gal water changes every day.
2) I have put stress zyme in the tank.
3) I have tried Amquel+
4) I have tried AmmoLoc
5) I have greatly reduced the amount of food that I feed them.
6) I have tried cleaning out the filter
7) I have tried using Ammo Chips in the filter and increasing the level of Carbon in the filter
8) I have have been using a second filter (Biowheel 200 + HOT 250)
9) I have tried 50% water changes followed by treatments of Fritzzyme. (I tried this two different times)

Each time I can get the amonia down to .5 (using a liquid test kit) but within a day or two it is back up to 1.0+

I have tried to think of anything that could be contributing to this...the only things that changed near the time this started happening are...1) I cleaned out the inside of my intake tube to my biowheel 200...Maybe this affected the Bio balance?? But if that were the case I would think the Fritzzyme or the stress Zyme would have fixed it. or 2) I switched from live black worms to frozen blood worms.

Hopfully someone can think of something to resolve this. I am at the point where I may have to give up the hobby.

Thanks for the help,
Charley