discus temperature

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
hmmm..so would u suggest i keep them in that temperature range? so many things to consider. i'm leaning on passing on discus because my tank is a bit too small..and my plants. i'll let you know. thanks tho.

Lilpoot

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Well,

To be honest.  As much as I love fish, I myself can't see paying the normal amount for Discus.  What size is the tank though.  I have heard that Discus prefer tall tanks.  To get back to the question, yes keep them around 82 degrees.  But it's up to you...  Fish or plants?

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
would anyone know what temperature u can keep a discus? my lfs said that mid 80's and up are normal..but they said that the plants in there wouldn't like the high temperature. the only plants i have are vals and glosso.

thanks!

Ben

New Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
  Hi great site I am a discus fanatic I have 3 discus in a 30 gallon tank pidgeon blood and they are doing great the temp is 84-85 degrees 29 centigrade I live in Sweden, the key to keeping Discusis careful selection of tankmates non aggressive and calm tankmates and its very important that the Discus are the central attraction but with their beauty and grace thats a no brainer!Lots of water changes clean aerated water.

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
hey ben,

thanks for the help. you have three discus in a 30gallon? I currently have a 29gallon but i was afraid that it was too small. also, i was concerned about the temperature since it's kinda high. what kind of plants do you have in your tank?

Ben

New Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
      Hi Big Fish I must admit I have had problems with live plants because of the high temp as of today I have a couple of plants with the easily pronouned Latin name which is Anubias barteri var caladiifola and they can be kept in temp up to 86 degrees so they tolerate higher temp and they grow to between about 5-7 inches Good Luck with your  fishkeeping !

D

discusaquarium

arcab4,
i also keep discus, i would probably say that a good temperature range for them is between 82F and 86F. you are right that some plants cannot handle that temperature but there are some that will thrive in that temperature. The vals should do fine, but i have never tried glosso, but you could try some swords, crypts, anubias, java moss, java fern, etc. there are many plants that can work up in that temperature range. hope all works out all right. ;D
Joe - aka discusaquarium

Discus swim along side angels in the wild,What temperature would you keep them in?
Discus are usually found in warm water up to 90f, as they are usually stranded in small bodies of water that heat up rapidly, when captured by collectors, the young fish are also found in warmer water, as they stay in the shallows until they are big enough to join the main river systems. ???