Discus tank

taybelZ

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
hey guys,
I'm planning on settting up a discus tank.
My current plans are a 4 foot/ 55 gallon tank.  with Ehiem Classic 2213 filter. I plan on putting 6 small discus in there and then hopeful end up with a pair. However, i was wondering how hard is it too get them to breed. Because i don't think i have time to change water every 2-3 days and also the fact my tap water has a Ph 7.6 and hardness 60-80.
I really want to get some but i'm not aware of a setup that will avoid my carrying buckets around. BTW the tank is going into my room, and we have a water purifer for drinking... does this have any use for my tank?
Sorry for the long msg.
PS thanks for any advice

R

ronrca

I have a 90G with 6 discus. I never use buckets but I have a python water change. Work absolutely wonderful. I do about 30-40% water change twice a week. Takes me around 30 minutes. They tend to be a little pricey but definitly worth it. Im actually starting to do water changes only once a week because the nitrates are 0 even after a week. Keep testing the water, if the nitrates go up within a week, you should be doing more water changes.

For breeding discus, the water has to be very soft. A water purifer might do the trick however I would take some water to your lfs and get it tested. How do you plan on breeding your discus? Are you going to start another tank? I have seen discus breeding in 10G tanks. Together with your water purifer, you could get the water to the right conditions. In breeding situations, frequent water changes are a must as fry need absolutly clean water.