Discus Pair

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Well here is my biggest "haul" from the auction today. I had previously arranged a deal with a local breeder for one of his proven pairs. So here they are!

Male is a Rose Red Intermediate. Intermediate meaning he carries the Albino genes but does not show albino. He has the potential to produce albino fry, though without another intermediate partner chances are slim. The female is a Gold Melon.

Male:

Female:

Pair:

Tank:

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
so do discus pair for life? if my genetics is correct roughly 25% of the offspring will carry the albino gene as well..is that right? I used to know the calculations on that back in my herp days but not sure if it works the same with fish, also herps can be line bred (inbred in human terms) without any ill effects are fish the same way? That is the way many of the current designer snakes and lizards were produced.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Not sure haha its complicated. Especially dealing with albinos because its such a recessive gene. I could be wrong here but i believe Intermediates are fry from either 1 albino parent or both albino parents, so following simple genetics i would guess some of the fry of these should carry the gene but not totally sure how many.

Discus pairing for life is iffy. In captivity, usually yes....but the breeder can easily force pair fish. Splitting up pair and pairing them with others is common to get the right genetics for a line.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Very nice looking Discus.

Well if i remember correctly for it to be a positive carrier it had to come from one albino and one carrying that should produce a 50/50 mix of albinos and hets (het being the term used in the herp field for a carrier), or 2 carriers to get same 50/50 mix I believe. So if you force paired it with an albino you should in theory end up with a 50/50 mix. Dont quote me there since it has been a while since I had to worry about genetics traits. I know it's one of those 2 methods and I am thinking the latter of the 2 is correct for a 50/50 mix because one full albino and one carrier would make the albino trait dominant not recessive therefore producing all albinos.

Damn genetics now I am going to have to research it and figure it out..lol

Any way sorry for derailing with the genetics stuff.

big54bob

Superstar Fish
Dec 20, 2006
On my office chair playing Runescape
Matt stop using tank space for silly but pretty discus. Make some room for a 20long and get a lovely pair of dwarf pikes. Then breed them and send me a few so i can enjoy them.

But your discus are awsome. Have you ever heard of a Snowy Knight Strain????? I think they are white with a blue tint to them.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Snowy Knight, no but i've heard of a Blue Knight. Strains are hard to go by.

So this pair is now into its first full day in the tank and they are already dancing and cleaning the breeding cone sporadically. I'm hoping to have eggs either tonight or tomorrow....we'll see if i get lucky. I did a WC this morning with cold water.