Dirt: What to do?

Flbrylas

Small Fish
Mar 31, 2012
I want to dirt my tank but don't know what soil or what minerals to put in the soil. I have read many forums online and I have gotten two main things. Plain Top Soil and Red Clay. The rest of the materials depends on personal preference. This is where I need help. I heard you can make soil better than what is sold in the market unless you get ADA but that is way to expensive for a 75 gallon. What should I put inside the soil beside the clay and any other suggestions before I get started?

Gomer

Superstar Fish
Apr 25, 2003
So Calif.
beyond_gomer.tripod.com

Flbrylas

Small Fish
Mar 31, 2012
I was going for the Walstad one but some of those materials are hard to find. I would still want to go for that method but I can not find those materials. Now, what is up with the Miracle grow? Only Miracle Grow and no other minerals or w.e. they are called added to it?

Flbrylas

Small Fish
Mar 31, 2012
I went ahead and purchased the clay, potage, and dolomite online. It was acually very easy to find I just was being lazy at first. Now that that is done. What will hold up better with soil, sand or gravel. I love sand but I know it can get dirty/mixed with the dirt and I heard it evenually sinks to the bottoms of dirt. Also well the plants attach better to gravels? I know I am asking a lot of questions but I can't seem to fins specific answer to my quesitons online.

Gomer

Superstar Fish
Apr 25, 2003
So Calif.
beyond_gomer.tripod.com
just a brief post for a moment: On Dolomite. Apparently, most Dolomite sold is actually dolomite-lime and labled as such (some dolomite in a lot of lime). This isn't what you want. (I found out the hard way). You want dolomite ore. I'll get you more info later. Off to work :)

Gomer

Superstar Fish
Apr 25, 2003
So Calif.
beyond_gomer.tripod.com
dolomite: This is what you want
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/11933111899695659443

If you plan on uprooting a lot, you do not want a dirt substrate.

here is a comparison of different substrate options
Substrate Choices Pros/Cons

Plants don't really attach to gravel. They root through it. The exception is into volcanic substrate (micro pores).

Ada isn't that expensive on a per-volume basis. About as much as say Eco-Complete.

The before diving deeper, what do you hope to grow? High light/CO2, low light/non-CO2, in between?

Feb 27, 2009
If you plan on uprooting a lot, you do not want a dirt substrate.
I keep a planted tank (just one now, used to have 8!), and I agree 100% with this comment, Gomer. Of my 8 tanks, 2 were soil capped with gravel.

If you want a tank that you plant and leave it alone, a soil substrate capped with either sand or gravel is ok. But, if you like to decorate and move plants or plant tops when things get too tall, soil is a pain in the hiney.

Flbrylas

Small Fish
Mar 31, 2012
I don't plan on decorating much because I am going I try and get it right from the beginning. I am going for a hight tech tank I got my lights and I am going to get my co2 system some time next month. This well be my first try at really trying to aqua scape a tank at a professional level. All my other tanks are also planted but they are just not up to par.

Gomer

Superstar Fish
Apr 25, 2003
So Calif.
beyond_gomer.tripod.com
"high tech" tanks typically means high/med-high light, CO2 and ferts. This also means lots of growth and most likely a good amount of stem plants. I would strongly discourage you to do a dirt tank id this is the case and strongly encourage you to get the ADA substrate. By volume (what matters), it isn't that expensive and one of the better substrates for the conditions you are aiming for. If you like sand, your best bet is to do ADA Amazonia in the back, and partition and use decorative sand in the front where you won't plant much. I'd save money and not get anyother ADA substrate stuff, just the amazonia. Powersand is nice, but gets ugly when you have to uproot.

This might be useful for you
Amano aquascapes in 2 Minutes - YouTube
AGA 2008: Takashi Amano: Aquascaping Demo-- Guitarfish

Flbrylas

Small Fish
Mar 31, 2012
I agree with you 100% but to fill a 75 gallon with Ada will cost me way too much. I don't have a budget but I also don't like to just throw money on things that I think are not worth it. I would get Ada for my 30 or 20 gallon because it does not require as much but like I said for a 75 it would be too much money ezpecially for my first setup.

Gomer

Superstar Fish
Apr 25, 2003
So Calif.
beyond_gomer.tripod.com
high light= fast growth = replanting of stems= messy with dirt.

for 3" depth average, you'll need 42 liters.
For eco complete, that is 144 lbs
for flourite, that is 90 lbs.

You can sometimes get stuff like eco complete for a pretty good price on sale with free shipping (get good root tabs if you do since eco has no nutrients)

Flbrylas

Small Fish
Mar 31, 2012
Ada is forsure out the window then. I don't really want to waste $150+ on dirt and not get great dirt. I think I am going to stick to the dirt method. I have already started it and it is not going great with the cleaning cause Idk how clean I have to get the top soil.

Gomer

Superstar Fish
Apr 25, 2003
So Calif.
beyond_gomer.tripod.com
if $150 is too much for you that is fine. ADA is not a waste and it is actually one of the (if not the) best plant substrates. You keep saying it isn't good so not sure where you are getting your info.
MTS will work well, just messy when you have to uproot.
Good luck. It seems my usefulness in this thread has expired :)

Flbrylas

Small Fish
Mar 31, 2012
At no point did I say ADA was bad at all. I know it is the best and I would use it any day over what I am currently doing but my final question. Would you recomend flora max which I heard is idintical to florite and can I add other things too it such as that of the MTS?

Gomer

Superstar Fish
Apr 25, 2003
So Calif.
beyond_gomer.tripod.com
"I agree with you 100% but to fill a 75 gallon with Ada will cost me way too much. I don't have a budget but I also don't like to just throw money on things that I think are not worth it. "
"Ada is forsure out the window then. I don't really want to waste $150+ on dirt and not get great dirt."

vs.

"At no point did I say ADA was bad at all. I know it is the best..."

Not very consistant in praise ;)

Floramax is near the bottom of my recommendation list along with fluorite. Better than plane sand. MTS is different in function than root tabs which is what you alude to. you could use flora max to cap MTS but I don't see a major advantage over sand (larger grain might cause issue)

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2009
High-tech tank with soil based substrate will be a lot of work, from my own experience.

Don't get me wrong about soil (I used organic choice soil from home improvement store), they can be beautiful tanks. Both of mine grew well and were very low maintainance once established. But as far as stem plants, I pulled those out after about 2 months and lowered my light by 50%. My 29gallon was a beautiful crypt-jungle in no time!

Last edited: