dirt tank

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
if u look at the substrate on the left side u will notice there is no dirt, that way i can do my water change as i always do with just a garden hose with a filter intake on the end and just hang it in the corner. so when the water hits the gravel it wont disrturb any of the mud. thinking ahead is what that is lol

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
well i've noticed no melting of any of the plants yet. all the leaves are nice and green and my fish are all doing fine, and my water has pretty well entirely cleared up. so at the moment i belive there are no toxic chemical compounds within the mud i used. to early to tell if there will be much of a gas buildup if any within the mud. so thusfar it is a success as i see it. but time will tell

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
How are you filling the tank with your garden hose and keeping the water temp close to the same? One other thing - which I have been told is to not drink the water out of an ordinary garden hose - we need to use a special hose for the water in our travel trailer - I am not trying to be an alarmist - just curious.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
i have my tanks in the basement and i plumbed a hot water line and a cold water line to a spickit and i took a garden hose and cut it up and put connectors on it and i bring both the hot and cold water into a y connector to a single hose that i pull into my room and then on the end i shoved and hose clamped a filter intake tube onto it to just hang it on the side of the tank. this hose is dedicated to my fish tanks. i also use it for water changes. i syphon the water out of the tank into my sump pump. i'll take some pics

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
At least it looks like you don't have to worry about water running over - because you are in the basement. When I inherited the 30g tank I have it came with a bunch of stuff - one thing being a Python, but I am afraid to use it - all my tanks are in carpeted rooms.

Feb 27, 2009
I've personally never used the hot water for fish (or even cooking/drinking). The metals that can be in hot water from a water heater can be pretty intense and not healthy to consume. Although a good dechlorinator binds heavy metals (I use Prime), I just never take the chance.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
i'm running well water and we have tested for heavy metals before and there has been nothing alarming in hot cold water. the people who tested our water said the same thing and wanted a test both. only reason we tested is cause about 10 miles from here people have lead in their well water but our water comes out of a coal bed and is filtered alot more. but i have had no problems in over 10 years using this setup. and if i just do a top off i use straight cold water. but this is working for me and i'm sticking to it.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
my room is carpeted, thyra. i got my tanks in my entertainment room with my pc and tv. the pipes and sump are in the laundry part of the baesment which is not finished. i just run the hose to the room with the tanks in it.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
i have no issues cooking with hot water either. we have an electric stove and it's just easier to fill a pot with hot water to jump start the boiling lol. and i've drank water coming from the shower head while i'm in the shower. i have never heard of hot water having any issues besides the one time we had it tested when we lowered the well and u guys. what i'm trying to figure out is how is there a difference when the water comes from the same source? what goes into the water heater is the same that goes through the cold lines. what changes in the water heater to supossidly make a difference?

Feb 27, 2009
It's the possiblity of metal contaminants in the piping and water heater. Depending on the age of the house, lead soldering is a common cause of lead, and even 'lead free' pipes can contain up to 8% lead. Copper also can get into the water supply.

Lots of info on the web about it.

A friend of mine works for a company that builds restaurants. They cannot set up the plumbing so that they cook with hot tap water. Any hot water for cooking must be heated in a 'food grade' water heater (different type of heater than what is used for washing the dishes or for employees to wash their hands, or in the bathrooms) and is very expensive he says.

Last edited:

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I am actually more concerned about the garden hose. There is a warning released on June 21 this year stating all 90 hoses tested contained lead and phthalates that exceeded levels set by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. I know they make special hoses (costing more, of course) for filling our storage tanks on the travel trailer. As far as using the hot water for cooking and heating things up, I've been doing it for 75 years and seems a little late to worry about what I should or could have done. lol

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
lol yeah thats true thyra. also i been drinking water straight out of the mississippi river and streams as well as garden hoses since i was like 4 years old. everybody worries about these heavy metals and i just don't i melt lead for making fishing lures all the time and that gives off lead vapor. i just tend not to worry about that stuff and my fish thirve with using untreated well water out of a garden hose. but on the plus side i tend to buy american over chinese so that may help with the garden hose lol. and i kinda mentioned all this stuff to my folks when we were at supper tonight and my dad just spouted bull sh*t he been doing it for 57 years and he is fine lol. i kinda guess thats where i get the lack of concern from. lol

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2009
It's the possiblity of metal contaminants in the piping and water heater. Depending on the age of the house, lead soldering is a common cause of lead, and even 'lead free' pipes can contain up to 8% lead. Copper also can get into the water supply.

Lots of info on the web about it.

A friend of mine works for a company that builds restaurants. They cannot set up the plumbing so that they cook with hot tap water. Any hot water for cooking must be heated in a 'food grade' water heater (different type of heater than what is used for washing the dishes or for employees to wash their hands, or in the bathrooms) and is very expensive he says.
Please ignore all posts. Thank you.