Digital Aquatics Controllers.

Kalavek

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2008
Vancouver BC
That's quite the toy - I don't think I would buy one personally unless I was going for a very, very serious reef tank - and at that point I'd probably have a number of other products in mind.

Can you point me to something that can stand in reliably for an API Master Test Kit and also test for alkalinity, hardness, chlorine and phosphate? I would looooooove a controller that could keep track of all those things and still have room to switch pumps and lights on and off.

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Unfortunately I don't know of one that will monitor (or even spot test) all those things. I did find one for Phosphate though and there is conductivity meter's/monitors (can extrapolate hardness from conductivity).

Here's some links to what I've found so far.

Welcome to American Marine Inc.

Hanna Low Range Phosphate Photometer

The down side to the phosphate one is it still relies on reagents.

Also I was talking to a guy at a LFS last week and he was telling me about a "digital test lab" out of Germany. Apparently you set it for what ever parameter you want to test and add your drop(s) of water, done. He said the price tag is a little steep at ~$600-700, I said money well spent when you take into account the amount I've thrown away on expired kits in the last 19 years ;). For the life of me I can't remember the name of it though. I'm planning on going in there on tuesday so if he's working I'll ask.

Chris

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
OK, so I talked to the guy. Apparently it's a case of "supposed to be released 2009-2010" and I couldn't find any info on the companies web site. It's actually an Italian company too. Here's the link either way: Elos - Worldwide - Home

While I was there I also talked to another guy who has the same problem as me, we're both colour deficient, and he told me about this company: HANNA instruments® :: World Leader in Analytical Instrumentation
They must have the least user friendly site I have EVER seen but with a fair bit of digging it is possible to find some REALLY interesting Multiprocess Photometer's. I can't seem to find the other site we saw at the shop (one with prices) but if I remember correctly there was one that did 7 different tests for ~$550-600 and a 36 function one for a bit over ~$1000. I say "about" because the prices were in British Pounds and we were converting to Canadian Dollars off the top of our heads. The down side is they still use reagents... the plus is (especially for me) is there's no guess work trying to match to the closest colour to a piece of paper and the accuracy and resolution is MUCH higher than standard hobby kits.

Either way, they both told me that if I find one I wanted to try they would try to get it in. LOL, more stuff for the "back to work" shopping list ;).

Chris

Last edited:

Kalavek

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2008
Vancouver BC
So many of these toys are so tempting to try, but I can tell I'd be disappointed with most of them before very long.

Maybe some day I'll have a legitimate reason for lab-grade testing supplies.

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Wow, didn't expect this to come up so "soon" ;) Still waiting to get back to work before buying anything.

Have you used the Profilux? If it's the one I'm thinking of I've read they only come with a German Interface. LOL, my german is a little lacking...

Chris

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
A few of my higher end accounts have these on their systems and love them. I believe the new kits that they make are in english for use in the usa

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
LOL, well a chance I quite simply can't pass up has come around... A guy in the next town over from me is selling a brand new RKE system for what he paid. The stuff is still in the box and he bought from a US site when the Canadian dollar was doing better. Soooo, looks like I'm getting a RKE *BOUNCINGS ! Even better, he's willing to take payments because I quite simply can't afford the whole thing right now (STILL not back to work... coming quick though).

I'm also thinking of eventually ordering the the NET module so I can get tank conditions e-mailed to my Blackberry. I love toys... *SUPERSMIL

Chris

Last edited:

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
ll, I just made my deposit on it. :D

This thing is REALLY slick looking, and like he told me over e-mail everything is unused only the box is open. Plus I priced one out at a store in Calgary... a full $100 more than what I'm paying. AND my Dad and step-mom are heading to Vagas here pretty quick so they offered to pick up any expantion modules so I don't have to pay shipping. Thinking a third power bar, the NET module, ORP probe and I'm seriously debating a MLC (moon light control) module with an additional 2 white LED moon lights (the MLC comes with 2 already so a total of 4).

Now the big question... Anyone know of a LFS in Vagas that carries these?

Chris