different types of goldfish?

khyle

Large Fish
Jul 9, 2005
KSA
yes, it is. i hv diff types of goldies in a single tank & they get along 2gether well & they play w/ each other. gold fishes r cool fish that won't harm other fish, though don't put any small fish in their tank smaller than their mouth or else they could be eaten (as all other fish do i suppose).

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Which type of goldfish are you thinking of combining? Some mix well, others don't. Ryukins shouldn't be with bubble eyes or other dorsalless fish and really shouldn't be with telescopes or orandas. Usual advice is to mix like with like -- single tails with single tails, egg shaped with egg shaped and dorsalless with dorsalless. I find most egg shaped goldies do fine together. Ryukins can safely be with singletailed goldfish and even hold their own with koi.

khyle said:
yes, it is. i hv diff types of goldies in a single tank & they get along 2gether well & they play w/ each other. gold fishes r cool fish that won't harm other fish, though don't put any small fish in their tank smaller than their mouth or else they could be eaten (as all other fish do i suppose).
i had goldfish in with my white clouds and micky mouse fisse and the goldfish were beating up on them, i also used to have a rainbow and my goldfish killed them too! i dont like goldfish anymore they're evil!!!*ALL*

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Well, first, your mollies really didn't belong with the goldfish. ;)

How do you know who is picking on who? Are you seeing interaction? Some bumping and running up each other's skirts is normal. Your moors, lionhead and bubble-eye should be fine together. What is the 'regular type'? A comet or common goldfish? (single tail, torpedo shaped body) I have a comet in with some of my fantails currently with no problems -- he just ended up in one of my goldfish tanks instead of my pond overwintering basin downstairs last Fall and he's small enough and behaving so he gets to stay until Spring. It's the ryukins you really have to watch -- they like to eat eyes and tend to be bullies.

You can't blame goldfish for trying to eat other fish -- that's what fish do. Having a large fish in with wcmminnows or other tasty morsels frequently ends badly for the smaller fish. It's not aggression, it's nature. ;)

They may be messy compared to the average tetra, barb or rasbora, but they're also larger fish and their requirements tend to be overstated perhaps in part due to the incredible amount of misinformation out there about goldies (heck, even the fish tank kit boxes show 10 goldies in a 6 gallon!). So long as proper stocking levels are maintained (keeping in mind, they're temperate water fish and ALL fish require more space per fish as the water temperature gets cooler) and sensible husbandry is practiced, they're really easy fish and quite interactive.

What size tank is this, why do you think someone is being picked on and what are your water parameters?

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Typically goldfish need about 10 gallons each (20 gallons minimum). If you're seeing the comet pestering the moor it might be a good idea to return him while you still can, you're a bit overstocked. Even with the 4, you're going to have to hop to keep the tank well. This is a 30 long, not a 29, correct? How much filtration do you have on the tank? How often are you performing water changes?

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
What size and brand HOB are you running? With a 29 you have much less surface area than a 30 which really impacts stocking levels. I would seriously consider a larger tank asap and also at least double typical filtration. Keep up those water changes!