Diatom filter

Oct 22, 2002
Does anyone have suggestions about models/type diatom filters?  I was thinking about getting one--i recently had an algae bloom (unplanted, freshwater tank) and the water is looking less than clear once again...I think it may bloom again.  The silica level is very high out of the tap.  i read on the net that the diatom filter will clear up the problem. any suggestions?

Oct 22, 2002
Everything is zero:  nitrates too (also ammonia, nitrites), pH is normally 8.4 with about 26 dH...which is why i switched to a cichlid tank recently.  after the last bloom, I did alot of water changes every other day...which is how the water became clear again in the first place.  I do not turn the tank lights on all the time--only about 8 hrs tops.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
I posted on the other thread yesterday.

Ever check for Phosphates in your tap?
Try a phos-zorb to remove them or keep them in check. I don't know if your fish will eat live plants, but find some that will work with your water, it isn't too much higher than mine in PH.
Plants will use up Phosphates, and if you get the right combination..start to out compete the algae for food.

Fish food can contain phosphates as well. But you seam to be doing water changes..are you feeding a lot or have messy eaters in between water changes?

How about try cloth's suggestion, that I am surprised he didn't mention. In between the 8 hours have the lights go out for an hour to break the algae's photosynthesis period. SO leave them on 4 hours, then off an hour, then back on for 4.

HTH