dgodwin's 30 gallon

dgodwin

Large Fish
Dec 2, 2002
Buffalo, NY
www.dgodwin.com
Equipment: (as can be found on http://www.dgodwin.com)
30 Gallon (US) AGA
Glass lid
DIY canopy
1x96w PC kit from ahsupply.com
1x15w NO florescent light (came with original hood)
DIY CO2 (done in a wine bottle, yeast and sugar changed weekly)
Fluval 204 filter
Flourite and Gravel Substrate
Visa-therm 150w heater
Driftwood from http://www.aquariumdriftwood.com and locally collected
Rocks (shale) collected locally and 1 rainbow rock from LFS
Weekly 5 gallon water changes
No added chemicals or fertilizers

SLO-Dean

Large Fish
Jan 27, 2003
SLO, CA
Visit site
Looks great, I love that piece of wood.
And very clear pic, how did you get the fish to stay still? What did you sue to take the picture? digital?
Tank looks pretty well established.
VERY NICE!

dgodwin

Large Fish
Dec 2, 2002
Buffalo, NY
www.dgodwin.com
To get the fish to "stay still" you need to use a fast shutter speed. To do so, you need to use a camera that allows you to control the shutter speed, and have lots of light. You can use either a SLR or a digital camera to control shutter speed. In this particular instance, I used my digital camera, a Nikon 995. Another key to good photos is a tripod. Even when using faster shutter speeds, your photos will benefit from having one.

dgodwin

Large Fish
Dec 2, 2002
Buffalo, NY
www.dgodwin.com
In the back I have a fluval 204 filter intake and output. In between, there is a airtube going into a 35mm film canister. This is for CO2. The 35mm film canister holds the CO2 under water longer, so it can difuse into the water better. Eventually, I think I'm going to purchase a hagen reactor, so it can better diffuse the CO2.

lizwinz

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Racine, WI
dgodwin-cant you use a regular difuser on ur airline, like the kind you put on airlines in a ugf...just curious cuz i'm thinking of planting my 35

nice tank btw *thumbsups

--liz:)

SoulFish

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Florida
www.rainbowaquatics.com
i disagree with you about the picture taking, all you need is a comfortable seat a decent camera with a flash, just take your pictures at an angle, many digital cameras cannot adjust shutter speed or aperture or both, this does not mean you cannot take good pictures

dgodwin

Large Fish
Dec 2, 2002
Buffalo, NY
www.dgodwin.com
I've haven't read if you could use a regular difuser. I don't see why not though.

My suggestions of photographing a tank is just the way I did it. I have access, and own quite a bit photography equipment, as I work in a local camera store. I've tried it both ways, with and without a flash, and I got best results not using a flash. In the future, I plan on borrowing a set of photo floods to try and get even more light on the tank for photography.

Thanks for all the great comments on my tank. I'm really glad other people like it as much as I do. Remember to check out my website, http://www.dgodwin.com to see more photos, and updated information on the tank, as I continue to add and change it. :)

dgodwin

Large Fish
Dec 2, 2002
Buffalo, NY
www.dgodwin.com

The broad leafed plants are anubias species. The ones that are darker in colour, and seem a little wavy are Anubias coffeefolia. The lighter coloured ones are Anubias barteli. Here's the same image labeled for further clarification. Note: There are 4 different Anubias sp. plants in ths photograph. Only 2 are labeled.