Deformed guppy fry?

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
Woo! finally back from my trip to Italy! Unfortunately, I'm still suffering from jet-lag, and I've been putting off cleaning the tanks till today.

I noticed that a few of my guppy fry have a pointy tail and are smaller than the rest. None of my females have given birth, well, I'm assuming, because I can see that their gravid spots are getting darker, and are getting ready to drop in about a week or two.

Are these pointy-tailed guppy fry deformed? I'll try to get a picture as soon as I can to show what I mean... both my memory cards are full at the moment, so it may take a while before I can get a picture.

Jan 12, 2013
Hello! This is by no means a scientific explanation, but I had the same problem when I first started my guppy tank. Baby guppies will develop largely depending on their water temperature and how often you feed them. Initially, I had my tank too cold and didn't know I had to feed them at least 4 or so times a day (you can't overfeed babies in the first 4 weeks of growth). Anyway, they were all stunted and when they finally started to get their tails, they were pointy and small, just like yours in the picture. Check your water and feed feed feed them! With proper care, they should grow big beautiful and normal tails.

Woo! finally back from my trip to Italy! Unfortunately, I'm still suffering from jet-lag, and I've been putting off cleaning the tanks till today.

I noticed that a few of my guppy fry have a pointy tail and are smaller than the rest. None of my females have given birth, well, I'm assuming, because I can see that their gravid spots are getting darker, and are getting ready to drop in about a week or two.

Are these pointy-tailed guppy fry deformed? I'll try to get a picture as soon as I can to show what I mean... both my memory cards are full at the moment, so it may take a while before I can get a picture.