Dead loachs

Oct 22, 2002
I got some kuhli (coolie) loachs a few weeks back. I dropped them in a 10-gal that I had cycled with four croaking gouramis. The loachs died within two days. They had trouble breathing and were unable to right themselves when flipped. I moved one downstairs to my 29-gal but it did nothing. In the morning it was dead. Upstairs I found another dead one. And a day later the last one. :p The ph was 6.5 temp was 80F and there were no nitrites is this the cause of gill flukes or what?

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well it appears that the water still has a lot of ammonia/nitrates given that you had croaking guoramis.  It might have showed zero nitrates/nitrites because you probably because it may have been in the early cycle.  You might had to let it cycle a little longer or do a water change at that point in order to put the loaches.  Loaches are very sensitive to water conditions and that could have been its downfall.
Make sure you check your water parameters before putting in any fish.
Anyways, how long have you had the tanks setup?  What other fishes are in there?

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
[quote author=Colisa_lalia link=board=bottomfeeder&num=1008960059&start=0#0 date=12/21/01 at 10:40:59]
I dropped them in a 10-gal that I had cycled with four croaking gouramis.
[/quote]

Did you put them right in when you got home with them?

Fish should be acclimated slowly to your tank conditions. A difference in temperature can even stress them to where they can die. I wonder what your fish store's PH was in comparison to yours. Too much of a difference can shock them too.

It is not a gill fluke. It seams like it was a lack of acclimation to me. Could this be possable Colisa_lalia?

Oct 22, 2002
Last night I got three more loaches and put them in very slowly. Letting them sitt for 13 minutes them putting them in a bucket and adding a little bit of the water for 4 minutes finally. I tried to catch them with my hands but it was no use. I got one in who was looking pretty bad and he is still alive today so I have  hope for him.  :D However I think I squished one and it died last night :'( Anybody whose ever kept these with info I'd love to here from!! *thumbsup2*

Just wondering why you used a bucket and tried to catch them with your hands?
When you get your fish home float the bag in the tank for 5 minutes, undo and roll down the top to form a ring that will make the bag float, pour in small quantities of tank water every 3-4 minutes until the bag is on the verge of sinking, leave for 5 minutes and then very carefully either catch the fish out of the bag with a small net or pour contents in to tank very gently.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
I usually do as cloth said, except I never, ever put my LFS's water in with mine. I either net them, or pour them gently through a net with the net in a bowl. When they come out, the net is under water in the bowl. I then take them and put them in the tank , letting them swim out of the net.
;)

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Yeah, don't ever put your LFS water in your tank!
~~Colesea (battling yet another bout of ich with her goldfish system because the stupid fridge unit won't stablize the temps and the water warms too quickly before the fridge kicks in again. *mumblerumble*)

Oct 22, 2002
I tried to catch them with my hands so that their spines would not get caught in the net. I also do not trust the lfs water and that is why I did not pour that water in.