Dead Coral in Freshwater setup?

RacerFish

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Another question you might be able to answer. I understand and I was informed that I can't put Dead Coral in a Freshwater tank because it raises the PH. However, my brother has some dead coral in his tank, and his fish are fine, but take note its only goldfish in it. So, what's the deal with that? what if someone does put dead coral in a freshwater setup, what could be the consequences for the fish etc etc... ok thanks.
RacerFish

v3x10e8

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
corals, like shells, is composed of calcium carbonate. the fear is that carbon and calcium will disociated in water and change water chemistry.

on a different note, i have a coral too, but i wanted to clean it first if i am going to use it.  I can't cook it since this will make the coral to become frigile, i can't bleech it since it would leave residues, any suggestions?

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
You use a 10:1 water:bleach you should be fine. Soak it for 10 , 15 minutes. Rinse well, and if you are worried about residue, soak in water over night, changing the water out a couple if you wish.

I use bleach often, and I rinse well, and it is gone.

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Coral and seashells are calcium carbonate based rock, like V3X said, and they do dissolove in water, can raise your pH and can raise your hardness levels as well.

For some fish, this is fine. African cichlids and goldfish do come from naturally hard-water areas, so can handle the high hardness and pH levels. Some fish, like many of your South American species, come from soft-water, low pH regions of the world, so adding carbonate based rock to their tanks can prove to be deadly.

Because people don't usually know the different regions or water chemistires their fish come from, most aquarist giving advice to beginners say absolutely no carbonate based rocks in community tanks (aka sea-shells, corals, tufa stone etc). It saves the beginner a whole boatload of hassel from dead fish and unbalanced water chemistries.

So the only fish I ever advise carbonate rock for are African Cichlids and marine fish (for whom ocean water chemistries are buffered by carbonate stone). I don't even recommend it be in the tank with goldfish.  But if you know what you're doing regarding the water chemistry requirements/manipulations of your fish and tank, then by all means, use whatever decor you wish.

You can wash it as described by Matt Nace.
~~Colesea

RacerFish

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
thanks for all the love. its just wonderful be corresponding on this website, i always get a very informative and credible answers to all my queries. thanks again.

Framer

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Another minor problem with coral in a freshwater tank is that many corals are very sharp, this can and often does result in injury for freshwater fish, the wounds can then lead to fungal/bacterial infections. But, to me the biggest thing is it's just so very unnatural for coral to be in freshwater.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Good point on it can be sharp.

Usually, it won't effect your water too much.

What is your current hardness?
If you already have kinda hard water, it won't do too much with one piece.

If you are housing certain African cichlids, they might actually like it better.