Cycling question

Jan 9, 2012
If I start a 2 gallon nano tank with water from my big tank when I do my water change, does the nano still have to cycle?

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I find that an interesting question - for which I don't exactly know the answer. You see, we test the water for the beneficial bacteria, yet is supposedly lives on the hard surfaces in the aquarium. OC is usually the one that explains these things for me and now I am curious, too. If you put two gallons of water, that tested fine, in a 2 gallon tank; that tank should test okay, too. Right?

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
I would think that it would be ok. Beneficial Bacteria lives in the water as well as on surfaces, so why wouldn't it be cycled?? That's the good thing about small aquariums. Stick stuff in there from previous tanks and you get pretty much an instant cycle. XD

Jan 9, 2012
Thanks for the quick replies....I have dwarf seahorses in a small in-tank refugium in my big tank, but it's really a deathbox...I keep it as clean as possible, but as they multiply like bunnies, I need a bigger tank.

I tried using a separate tank, running water from my big tank to the little one, and vice versa, but I could never get the intake/output right, and either the little tank would be too low, or overflow....

I saw this little fluval spec 2 gallon, with the hidden filtration system in the back, with no pump sucking up my babies, and thought that would be perfect.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
That sounds great!! If I were to ever get a saltwater tank, I would definitely have some seahorses. Do they get along with Firefish Gobies?? And although I like Clownfish, I'm not all that into them. People always refer to them as Nemo. XD

Jan 9, 2012
I've had regular seahorses in my big tank...the only thing that doesn't really get along with them are puffers, but they don't get along with much...
The seahorses I have now, are dwarves....maximum length 1-1/2" very tiny, and i have to feed them freshly hatched baby brine shrimp everyday...
they don't like a lot of current, so most tanks have not worked...I've tried many...

Jan 16, 2012
I don't exactly know the answer. You see, we test the water for the beneficial bacteria, yet is supposedly lives on the hard surfaces in the aquarium.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Maybe I have answered my own question (after a lot of thought). Your tank would not necessarily be cycled. We are testing the water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, but NOT the beneficial bacteria. Therefore your tank would not have any beneficial bacteria on the hard surfaces. So it would be almost like putting just your regular water in until the beneficial bacteria came into play. This makes sense to me now - am I on the right track??