Cycling problem...

waterguy1

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2009
Okay, I am planning on setting up a super-nano 2.5 gallon reef tank. I probably wont have any fish, but, I was wondering, if I was religeous with water changes, could I have one of those little tiny bumblebee gobies?... anyway, to the point. I have the tank, a small air pump, and some marine buffering sand. My 10 watt cf 50/50 light and azoo palm filter should come in around 12 days. Could I start cycling now, with just sand and a small amount of LR? no light yet but I might use the bubbler just for a little aeration untill the filter comes. is this a good Idea? Also, should I use a 7.5 watt mini heater (with no temperature controll knob or anything on it), or will the light heat up the water some?Thanx in advance for any response.

Last edited:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You could probably start cycling now. I think you would need some kind of water movement in there to keep the bacteria aerobic, though. Perhaps an old HOB filter would work. The light might be enough heat, depending on the temperature in your house.

I don't think any fish in there is a good idea. You could do a shrimp, possibly.

philo25uk

Small Fish
Mar 23, 2010
Okay, I am planning on setting up a super-nano 2.5 gallon reef tank. I probably wont have any fish, but, I was wondering, if I was religeous with water changes, could I have one of those little tiny bumblebee gobies?... anyway, to the point. I have the tank, a small air pump, and some marine buffering sand. My 10 watt cf 50/50 light and azoo palm filter should come in around 12 days. Could I start cycling now, with just sand and a small amount of LR? no light yet but I might use the bubbler just for a little aeration untill the filter comes. is this a good Idea? Also, should I use a 7.5 watt mini heater (with no temperature controll knob or anything on it), or will the light heat up the water some?Thanx in advance for any response.
yeah u can start cycling if u can get some lights on it, it will help to cycle the tank. for temp i would get a heater which u can set the heat and keep it at a stable temp has this is better for livestock temp should be 25-26c is best what u planning on keeping in there any corals. u could probably get away with one small fish some thing a sharknose goby or a neon goby which only get to bout 1 inch

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
start cycling. You'll need a heater that you can control. use an old HOB filter or a powerhead for water movement until your filter comes in the mail. You can cycle w/o having a light, I have done that on my 3 gal reef when I started it and had no bad effects.

In a 2.5 you should get a small powerhead such as a koralina nano or Rio50 or something to provide extra flow in addition to your filter.

Regarding your filter, if it comes with media then this is what you do:
1. dont use the filter foam. instead take that out and use a small clump of filter floss and replace this floss 2x a week. this floss helps trap debris and you throw it frequently to prevent nitrates from building.

2. If ceramic rings or bio-balls are provided, dont use those either. the live rock takes care of the bacteria.

3. If active carbon is supplied, save this until youre finished with your cycle.

Thus the only thing you need to have in your filter is the filter floss to trap stray sand and debris which gets discarded 2x a week, dont forget that.
Once the cycle is finished the only things in your filter is the active carbon and the floss ontop.

I am assuming that your filter is a HOB here.

In terms of stocking you could probably have one shrimp (2 sexy shrimp) or one goby (any of the clown gobies or neon goby)
Then you could probably still add a couple small snails and a hermit for your CUC.