Cycling a 10g with two Dwarf Gourami?

May 19, 2003
Visit site
Is this a good idea?

I have 2 Dwarf, nearly fully grown at 2.5", Gouramis in a 5g with 4 Danios/Minnows. I am getting a 10g tomorrow and want to cycle it before I add all 6 fish. In the Beginner forum most people advise, it seems, to cycle with the Danios/Minnows, but are the Gourami hardy enough to handle it?

Thanks guys!

PS - I am going to add 2 capfuls of Cycle to speed up the Nitrogen cycle in the 10g.

Jubilee

Medium Fish
Oct 29, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
I wouldn't cycle a tank with dwarf gouramis either. The danios would be the best bet. Or even better, get some Bio-Spira by Marineland, add all the fish, and be done with it.

lizwinz

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Racine, WI
i wouldnt cycle with two gouramis...go with danios or white clouds if your going to cycle with fish, have you looked into fishless cycling?

as to the cycle your going to use most say this does not work....youd be better off just squeezing out the media from your old tank and pouring that into the new filter and media...it's free and contains more bacteria than the cycle product

but if your 5 gal isnt cycled yet and you feel the need to go with a "bottled cycle product" go with bio-spira if you can find it....it more expensive but seems to be the only one of those products that actually works, just make sure your lfs is refridgerating it, as it needs to be kept that way until use to be effective...also store any left over in your fridge at home

good luck with whatever you decide *thumbsups

--liz:)

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
Noooooooo! Dwarf gouramis are delicate fish....try danios like everyone else says, or you can spare them and do a fishless cycle. Check out the article on fishless cycling in the Freshwater Beginner Questions section.