Cukes vs Zucchini

Status
Not open for further replies.

rommel39

Large Fish
Feb 7, 2004
Alexandria, Virginia
Visit site
I usually feed my bristlenose pleco a slice of cucumber each night, but I’ve read in some places that cucumber is not as nutritious as zucchini, does anyone know if this is true or not? Should I feed zucchini insted of cucumber?

Plus, I’ve noticed that since I have been feeding with the cucumber I have to start changing the filter much sooner than before but the water starts backing up on my hanging filter. (BTW, I do weekly water changes)

Thanks for any help!!!!!

Rush07

Large Fish
Mar 1, 2006
Oneida, NY
I am not sure about the nutritional aspects of the two, but I have also had an issue with the seeds clogging up my filter. I feed my BN's zucchini and have started cutting out the center. If you can find large zucchini its still leaves plenty of "meat" for them to eat. I have also started feeding sweet potato and my BN's seem to really like it. It is easier to feed because it sinks and does not leave the seeds to clog the filter. You do need to boil it for a while to soften it up, though.

Whitney

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2006
In addition to Zuccini, I've taken to feeding my bristlenose pleco apple slices. He LOVES them. My cherry shrimp also are crazy about them and all gather around to nibble.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
What you have heard about the nutritional value is pretty accurate. Cuke has very little to no value at all. It makes a nice treat and is good as an additional food source but should not be the only food given.

rommel39

Large Fish
Feb 7, 2004
Alexandria, Virginia
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everybody. I've been feeding nothing by cukes and some brine shimp tabs (but I don't think the BN even pays attention to those). I'll switch this weekend to Zuccini and see if he will eat that. Hopefully zuccini is a little "cleaner" than cuke slices and will foul up my filter less quickly.

Nov 14, 2006
Fishers, IN
www.myspace.com
Rommel - overnight is fine, I just wouldn't let it exceed 24hrs (and if you find a way to sleep 24hrs, please let me know!)*SLEEPING*
A hint, and it was mentioned before, I try to "pop" out as many seeds as I can so they don't end up floating all around my tank. I just use a butter knife to slide them out.

rommel39

Large Fish
Feb 7, 2004
Alexandria, Virginia
Visit site
Okay, started out feeding the ol' bristlenose zucchini slices instead of cuke slices. I did not blanch the zucchini and I'm thinking I might have to, because it looks like he was not able to get a whole lots of "meat" off the zucchini slice. Do you have to blanch zucchini normally? Thanks for the thoughts!!!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I'm closing this thread as it seems to be attracting a lot of spam. It's from 2006, so I'm sure the original poster has figured out about cukes and zucchini by now.

Please feel free to either start a new thread about this subject or PM one of the moderators to have the post opened again.

Thanks, and sorry for any inconvenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.