Cuckoo Catfish (Synodontis Multi)

Jun 11, 2011
Canada
Hey, I jus picked up 4 of these Synodontis Multi's about a week or so ago. Jus wondering if anybody has any experience with these guys. I sont know if its possible, but can I tell what ones are males and females?? Also, what kinda cichlid would be a good host for the catfish to spawn with?? If you aren't familar with their breeding habits they are "parasite" brooders. Which, from my understanding means they steal a mouth brooders eggs while they spawn and replaces them with catfish eggs. The mouth brooding cichlids then raise the catfish eggs as their own. If anybody has any experience, with keeping them or breeding, I'd appreciate the info. Thanks.
P.S. When talking about the cichlids I could use for host, please include the common name as well as the proper one. If possible. Thanks

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
I've had two in my tank for a year and a half. At first they were very reticent, mostly coming out in the open after lights out, but eventually they grew more comfortable and now cruise all over the tank all the time. I'm pretty sure they stalked and munched several small tetras, and they go nuts for frozen bloodworms. Really gorgeous fish.

Jun 11, 2011
Canada
@KcMopar. Yeah, I'm sorry the pic isn't clear, but the LFS said it was "like" a Blackbelt cichlid. Maybe its some kind of hybrid??? Or is that not possible.
As far as what host cichlids I could use for my catfish, what are some prolific African mouth brooders?? I have read that the syno's take a long time to reach sexual maturity, is this true?? And if so, how big would they have to be to start conditioning them for breeding? Sorry about the 20 questions, jus that I don't trust ANY info half the staff at my LFS give me.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Yes, the Black Belt could fit the bill too. A Hybrid is VERY possible. Juveniles can be hard to class. It could take about 1-2 years for the syno to mature. As for what African???? Its best to figure out what your tank parameters are and select the fish to the tank situations, Such as PH, Harness, temp and ECT. These must match the fishs you plan to spawn. In this case the tank should pick the fish as its would make spawning much easier. Gather your tank parameters and start your African research. There will be plenty for you to choose from. I really like the Peacocks for ease of gender recognition. Most have very colorful males and lesser colored females.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
well first the fish in your photo is not african, and not a mouth brooder. It is also not compatible with africans. If we take water parameters aside the trouble with mixing Africans with SA/CA is fighting style, africans are peckers and nippers. They bite other fish to death. SA/CA are smash and bashers... So what tends to go on if you mix the two is that your Africans basically eat the fins off the SA/CA. They are smaller and more nimble so the SA/CA has trouble beating them to death and usually ends up worst off in these mixes unless the african is small enough to fit in his mouth then they just eat them.

Mumbas are from the same habitat and are generally the prefered mix for the cookoos although the only person I know personally who gets them to breed uses larger mouth haps. The CooKoos eggs hatch faster then the mumba and eat the mumba eggs quickly out growing the host fish's mouth lots of females die hosting the fry due to the size. Venestus and livingstoni have been a favorite for breeding these guys due to their adult size.

Year to year and a half is when they start to breed. You really need to set up an african tank and toss them in if you hope to breed them.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
well I do have a very lovely nugget, but the fish pictured was actually stolen offline. :) There are photos of my tanks up somewhere, plecos are hard to photograph because they dart away when i get too close.

Mine is a large spot like the one in the photo. :) She's a great fish I would recommend her to my friends any day. :)

You could toss a nugget in with your africans ya know, and a big royal would be fab with your red devil assuming your ammonia is in check with the comets in there :) Fancy plecos are where it's at :)
I keep africans to take up the space between the bottom of the tank and the top :) Plecos are my passion :)