Cryptocoryne Parva... green.. but outlined in red?

Feb 10, 2011
Annapolis, MD
Need some help guys. Still a total newb in the plant dept. Wondering if anyone could give me any insight into why the leaves of my cryptos which usually do amazing are turning brownish red (it's not a 'red' crypto). The leaves of my crypto parva are looking wilty and are outlined in red.. reddish brown stems and outlined in red but still lush green color.

Help!

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
Crypts are major root feeders, so do you use root tabs? How long have you had them? Have you moved them recently? When I moved mine they hated it and half the leaves turned yellow then brown and died. After that though, about double the leaves grew back in their place.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; When I must move crypts they often lose some leaves. The leaves and stems sort of dissolve. This can go on for a few weeks. The plants generally survive and start to have new growth. Can be a bit slow.

When I must move them, I try to scoop up a lot of gravel with my hand along with the roots. The roots of several plants can be intertwined. I then gently shake the plant while still in the water to let the gravel fall away. The roots can be very long and some of the longest and finest will likely break off, they survive this fairly well. I don't always separate individual plants and often replant them in a bunch to avoid further breaking of roots.

Sometimes only one or two main roots are attached and the plants do survive. If the main plant has sent out runners and the new offshoot has good roots, you can cut the runner and plant the new one on it's own.

When replanting I wrap the roots, which can be very long, around each other into a very loose ball and put that into a pre scooped hole. Then gently cover the roots while holding the plant in place.