Crab Questions

BVDs

New Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Hello. I am new to having a crab.. and I have a few questions.

I heard that crabs molt. How do I know when they are going to molt?

My crab stopped moving today and is upsidedown. He is still alive because he moves every now and then. Does this mean he is dying or is this part of Molting?

If he is molting how long will it take?

I have fish in my tank also.. and I suspect he is going to be molting.. he will move right? He won't get eaten will he?

I also have another crab. She won't hurt him while he molts will she?

Thank you so much,
I might have more questions in the future.

~BVDs

BVDs

New Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Its a freashwater crab. I can't remember what kind. It looks like a fiddler crab but it is brown and has a small claw. The tank is 2 1/2 gallons and is occupied with a betta, a guppy and a small fantail goldfish. I had it for a month.

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
Yes they DO molt, and they do kinda act strange when they do...I had one for awhile and mine did the same thing meaning it laying on its side or upside down barely moving thinking the poor thing was dead! What happens is they completely shed their shell!! legs and all!!! It is pretty trippy looking so if you think you have THREE crabs in there look closer cuz its probably the "old" shell laying there. As they grow they have to shed their shells to continue to grow so dont worry when you see that happen. I doubt your other crab will hurt it so just watch as an amazing thing happens!!!!

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
BVDs said:

My crab stopped moving today and is upsidedown. He is still alive because he moves every now and then. Does this mean he is dying or is this part of Molting?

I have fish in my tank also.. and I suspect he is going to be molting.. he will move right? He won't get eaten will he?

~BVDs
Yes, crabs molt. I don't think there's a way to tell when they're going to do it, but when it does happen it's pretty cool. I had some fiddler crabs (the ones with the big pincer on one side) once and one day I looked in my tank and there was a ghost like replication of my male fiddler crab. Crabs don't really seem to take along time to molt and I don't really know how they do it. One moment it's just them and then they have a whole shell next to them. The way to tell the shell a part from the real crab is the eyes. The shell will not have the tiny round ends at the end of the eye stems.

Crabs don't usually bother each other when they're molting, but it is good to keep an eye on them after because they're skin is soft for a little while after wards.

You say yours is upside down, but moving? Hmm, that happened once to me when I was starting my aquarium. Turned out the water was to cold and when I looked at my female crab (who was the only crab I had at the time) she was upside down. I thought she was dead and was about to throw her a way, when my brother saw her move slightly. My crab was freezing.

What is the temp of your tank? Being upside down isn't really a good thing for a crab. In my experience if they're upside down they're either dead or dying. My tank I put my crabs in later on and that I have now is at 80F. They did fine at 76f.

What type of crab do you have? I'll try to help with whatever questions you have. Here's a site that might help you.

http://inin.essortment.com/fiddlercrabspe_rslq.htm

Last edited:

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
BVDs said:
Its a freashwater crab. I can't remember what kind. It looks like a fiddler crab but it is brown and has a small claw. The tank is 2 1/2 gallons and is occupied with a betta, a guppy and a small fantail goldfish. I had it for a month.
Your tank is dangerously overstocked -- do you know what your levels are? Some crabs will leave each other alone but many invertebrates are territorial and both they and the fish are a danger to a molted invert. Most inverts which have recently molted will hide until their exoskeleton has hardened for this reason. Most crabs available also appreciate someplace to get out of the water. The goldfish and betta might try to eat it as well as the other crab. I would seriously rethink your stocking and consider a larger tank with what you choose to keep.

BVDs

New Fish
Jan 24, 2006
It's a sad day. Seleya must have been right. My little crabby has passed away. I will not be putting any new life in my fish tank. The rest of my creatures are doing well though. Thank Heavens!
Thank you all for the help.

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
Hehe... BVDs... do they still make those? Anyway, I am sorry to hear about your crab... I hope you didn't think me insensitive just now, I just remembered those commercials!!

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Yup, sorry to hear about your crab too. :(

I know it's been a week or two since it died, but I just wanted to chime in with some suggestions, in case you decide you're brave enough to try your hand at crabs again...I think they're fascinating to watch.

First off, I've read, and have been told, that they do need access to the surface---any plants or tubing that lead to the surface is probably okay for this purpose, as the crabs will climb it.
I have also heard that freshwater crabs typically will not live very long unless some salt is added to the water on a regular basis.

Again, I have not had first-hand experience with crabs, so I can't say how much salt/what type, etc.

Just something to consider for next time...if there is a next time. :eek:

Big Vine

Aug 3, 2016
Hello. I am new to having a crab.. and I have a few questions.

Thank you so much,
I might have more questions in the future.

~BVDs
I have a male and female fiddlers and they are in 10%brackish water and 90% sand they have both molted and their shell looks like a brown dead crab but leave it and they eat the shell for nutrition.

Aug 3, 2016
It's a sad day. Seleya must have been right. My little crabby has passed away. I will not be putting any new life in my fish tank. The rest of my creatures are doing well though. Thank Heavens!
Thank you all for the help.
Little fiddler crabs need brackish water and only 10% is water 90% is sand not gravel because they can break their legs