Could I use a brass valve

djm761

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2011
I setup a 55 gallon drum a few days ago, found a sump pump that claims to be aquarium safe, now I can age dechlorinate and preheat the water in advance, I have used it for two water changes, the fish and I seem to like it better than using hot and cold water strait out of the tap. My question is would it be ok to use a brass control valve on the fill line, for now I've been kinking the hose to go from tank to tank.

Last edited:

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Brass will be ok, I like to use the PVC just because I like it. Seeing you are using tap water and dechlorinate I assume you are referring to Freshwater. If Saltwater I would use PVC. Brass is fine for Freshwater I just have a preference for PVC as its cheap and easy to work with.

djm761

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2011
Brass will be ok, I like to use the PVC just because I like it. Seeing you are using tap water and dechlorinate I assume you are referring to Freshwater. If Saltwater I would use PVC. Brass is fine for Freshwater I just have a preference for PVC as its cheap and easy to work with.
PVC would be ok with me I just couldnt find any thing with flow hole larger than what looked like 3/8 , What type valve are you using.