Could i keep....

Dangerous

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
a green terror,oscar,and jack dempsey together ive heard that the green terror's were to aggresive and if not what could i keep with the oscar/jack dempsey aside  from another oscar or jack dempsey or one of those stupid plecos???

(no offense to ppl who like pleco's i just think two cichlids and a catfish look stupid together)

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
What size tank do you have? because an oscar can get very big on it's own along with two others the tank may be to small.

Ryanp13

Dangerous

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
i have a 90 gallon and i talked to the person at the pet store and she said you could keep 2 to 3 oscars in a 55 (90s dimensions are 48"long 18"wide 25" tall) {55's are 48" 12" 21")

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Sorry I got busy with stuff and didn't check this board until today. A 90 gallon is plenty big for an oscar. I've never kept green terrors or jack dempseys but I have talked to people who have. Green Terrors have a very agressive behavior someone told me, but oscars and jack dempsey's are okay with other large fish. If that's what your interested in then you could also try convict or firemouth cichlids. They grow to be about 5 inches and are not to agressive. You could also try small african cichlids. Blood Parrot cichlids get pretty large and are very interesting even though they're a hybrid they have great personality. That's about all I can tell you but I hope it helps.

Ryanp13            

But no plecos :)

Oct 22, 2002
oscars do pretty well with all the fish you have names as long as they are pretty much the same size. my disslosure on this is each fish has it's on attitude which could throw all my years out the windows. i have kept oscars with jacks, red devils, green terrors, pacu, snake head, wolf fish, jags and host of other cichlids. good luck....

Oct 22, 2002
I had my Oscar with a female green terror and they did fine, she even spawned for the Oscar.... Then I got a male and another tank for the Green Terror. About  2 years later, after 4 fish tanks and lots of breeding Green Terrors,I put the male green terror in with the Oscar, a Black Belt and an Arawana in a 135 Gal tank. All was copacetic until the Arawana jumped out and died. Then the Green Terror tried to take over and beat up the Oscar.
The Black Belt and the Oscar bonded in the first tank. The Black Belt even protected the Oscar. I have started another tank and have a young Oscar and young Blk Belt in together again and they have bonded too. So I like that combination personally. Whatever you do stay away from Jewels.... she about killed my new Oscar. The Salvanis (SP) are doing well in the tank...  they are aggressive but much smaller. Black Belts and Salvani are both very colorful fish. Afician's require different type of water (brackish, different pH, some salt) so I do not recommend keeping them in with S American's.

Oct 22, 2002
You are right clothahump.... that's what I meant. But I admit I know nothing about rift lake cichlids other than they are not compatable with South American Cichlids. I have heard of several pet stores that have suggested people buy one for the other tank many times..... and an earlier message looked like it was suggesting small african cichlids for a tank with an Oscar. I do know some about the central and South American cichlids.... as I have read many books and looked up many web sites over the past 4 years concerning them. But i readily admit I am not an expert.... many things I have read have conflicted each other. I was just trying to prevent an error. :-/