Costco Midwest Tropical Coffee Table Aquarium

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I don't think a normal gravel vac would even work for the coffee table one because the siphon effect wouldn't work since it is so low to the floor. As for that tall tank GOOD LUCK!!!

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
LOL, the stuff people think up with out any regard for maintenance ;).

In a round about way it reminds me of a sale I refused when I worked at a LFS. A lady came in and wanted to buy a bunch of Blue Damsels to put in a fish bowl for a dinner party. After I explained they would never live for long in there she asked if she could get a few hours... I just looked at her "you're kidding right?". I then explained the moral and ethical implications focusing on the fact they were wild caught fish. She said she didn't care and just wanted something pretty for the party. At that point I was done, said no dice and informed the other people working NOT to sell her livestock...

The things people will do for short term "pretty" :(.

That said though... the coffee table one MIGHT be OK with some provisions/mods and dedication ;).

Chris

Nov 26, 2008
I have one of these tanks. It is pretty cool. I have had it about a month now. There are openings around the top edge that you can't see in the picture. These openings are about 4" wide and 2" tall. They sometimes scare me because I hear that Bala Sharks like to jump out of tanks. I worry each morning to see if one of cats brings a fish onto my bed. :)

The only problem I have with the tank is keeping the NH levels down. I am thinking that it my be the cheesy filter that is supplied with it.

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
First off, HI and welcome safecracker!

Does the whole top come off? I've just assumed that it did for proper maintenance but I've also never seen one first hand, only pic's.

What is the it about the filter that makes it cheesy? Or better yet, what type of filter is it? And how is power provided to the tank? Any provisions for a heater?

That's never good about the NH3/4 levels, but if you've only had it for a month it's not overly surprising (cycling).

Chris

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2008
Thanks for the welcome.

As for the tank. The top is just a piece of tempered glass that sits on top. It is easily removable by anyone. The filter is a Tom Aquatics Dive Power 85 II. I was told by someone that I really don't trust that it is crap and won't filter as expected. I ran a power cord from underneath the carpet. There is a nice cutout in the bottom to run the wires over the side and into the tank. There is no heater but I added an over the edge drop in heater and it is working fine.

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Thanks!

Yeah, I can't say for sure because I've never used one, but I don't really trust the Tom filters either... I would agree with your previous statement, they just *look* cheesy. Or as my old boss would say, Mickey Mouse ;)

Chris