Cory catfish substrate help

prsturm

Large Fish
Aug 13, 2010
Hello. I'm new to the fish world, and have started a 15 gallon tank. I just added a cory catfish (trilineatus) only to find out that I may have the wrong bed for it. I'm using "regular" Tetra gravel, only to find out that it might be sharp or cut or damage the catfish's barbs. Do I need to change to sand, or is regular gravel safe for corys?

I use eco-complete and it works fine, my Kuhli Loaches were also fine in it, the Kuhlis were also fine in regular Walmart bought gravel. Now the Kuhlis are in sand and seem just as thrilled but they don't burrow in the sand like they did in the gravel.

I think the texture of your gravel must be similar to the eco-complete, honestly eco-complete seems pretty rigid to me and I have 4 of the "fake" Juliis who do fantastic in it.

lstorns

Medium Fish
Aug 8, 2010
havent seen or red german in years I can kind of follow:) My corys do ok on regular gravel and eco complete. I have pandas and emerald corys. but I did have a julie cory and that one scrapped its face off. It was pretty sad to see:(

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I recently changed my substrate to sand, and was thinking about getting some panda cories from aquabid. Almost all the videos on youtube or cory fish had sand substrate, but I just wanted to double check and make sure its fine. It's fine, right?

blue_ram

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2008
Florida
The only thing that harms the cories barbels is sharp large particle quartz gravel and iron pyrite black type sand.

If you want to watch the cories have a blast, put in regular play sand.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
The only thing that harms the cories barbels is sharp large particle quartz gravel and iron pyrite black type sand.

If you want to watch the cories have a blast, put in regular play sand.
Thanks, that makes me excited. All I've ever read about cories says they're super fun to watch. I'll go ahead and get some now that I know its safe for them.